Basement Drain half-full with water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Enemy614

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here and I got a problem.
I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.
I looked around but I couldn't find anything about drainage.

Here's my problem. I was brushing my teeth and the water started to come up a little. I assumed it was just a blockage in the sink. Then I got in the shower which is right next to it and as I was finishing some water was refusing to drain there aswell.

Now the shower and the sink I just mentioned are connected to each other. We've used a plunger on each drain simultaneously before to unclog it, by which I mean someone plunged one drain while another person plunged the other.

Anyways. I got out of the shower and went out into the larger room where I have this drain which I will post pictures of, and there was water on the floor around it. I'm assuming water came up while i was in the shower.

I have no plumbing knowledge nor do I have anywhere close to the money to do a HUGE fix right now. Can anyone PLEASE lend me some advice.

Attachments

• Image3384.jpg
    Image3384.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 453
  • Image3383.jpg
    Image3383.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 451
  • Image3381.jpg
    Image3381.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 455

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
It's a clog. What sort of huge fix were you expecting?

Call someone to snake or jet it.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
You probably have a partial stoppage in the pipe where the drains come together, a plunger isn't going to work, you need the line snaked out, sorry.

Enemy614

Reaction score
It's a clog. What sort of huge fix were you expecting?

Call someone to snake or jet it.

I was hoping not to get the typical plumber response which is rip out the whole thing and get a new one basically lol.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a snake I'm going to try its not real long but its somethin. (thats what she said :p) I'll post how it works. I'd rather not call a plumber but I might not have a choice with the snake i have.
But I should probably also mention I've never had water come up out of this drain before other than during a rainstorm flood. It came up when I was taking a shower, usually when that happens it would of started coming up out of the sink or it would have been just draining really slow. This just seems odd it kind of concerns me.

Enemy614

Reaction score
yup. thank YOU for YOUR input. next time i make a post here i'll be sure to mention i want helpful advice instead of smartass advice.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
yup. thank YOU for YOUR input. next time i make a post here i'll be sure to mention i want helpful advice instead of smartass advice.

Did you try the snake yet? I'm pretty sure a professional drain cleaner would have had this problem solved for you by now, had you made a simple phone call.

Storm rider

Slave to rentals
Reaction score
Hey enemy, the purpose of the forum is for those with less knowledge to get advice from those with greater knowledge. Sometimes the advice given is able to help a homeowner solve the problem themselves. On other occasions, the best advice is to get professional help that has the proper tools/skills to do the job correctly, quickly, and without collateral damage.

In your case, it is apparent that there is a clog or blockage SOMEWHERE in your system. Without being there and doing some diagnostic testing, no one on the forum can tell you where it is or exactly what tools will be needed to fix it. This is one of those cases where the best advice is to get a professional to do it, but if you still want to try to fix it yourself, go for it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would be interested to hear what that pit in the floor and the handwheel next to it are all about. I've not seen anything like it it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOUR snake will be about as effective as trying to shoot down a B-52 with a .22 rifle. The wheel handle is for a manual backwater valve, and is probably "frozen" so it will NEVER work again, but, IT could be the source of the problem, in which case you MIGHT have to break the floor and remove it.

Enemy614

Reaction score
yeah i didn't think my snake would do anything. i figured i'd give it a try for the hell of it though anyways.

the water is definatly draining out of the pit but it stops when it gets to a certain level. so its not completely blocked up. but you would think if water was draining then eventually all the water would drain out right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks