(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: no water, no sound when I turn spigot

Default no water, no sound when I turn spigot

We just bought a mobile home. Within the first month the water had frozen in the pipes twice due to the heat tape shorting out.

Last night, however, my husband used the restroom in the middle of the night and discovered we had no water. The first thing we do now is check the heating tape. It was on and warm, so yay there. Still, no water.

We also don't hear that gurgling sound we had heard when the pipes froze previously. I've turned off the hot water heater because I don't want the thing to burn up or blow up. Do you have any ideas why there is no water if the heat tape is still working? The temperature is in the 20s, but it has gone lower than this without the pipes freezing before.

Thanks.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The pipe can freeze anywhere, including below where it goes into the ground at the shut off. If the heat tape is not installed and working for the entire length, it can and will freeze.
    The heat from the trailer will keep the space underneath above freezing if the skirting is insulated and sealed up well to prevent air leakage.

The pipe will freeze ANYWHERE it gets cold enough if the heat tape is NOT applied to the pipe there.