Did my pipe break, or did someone try to steal it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Henry G

Reaction score
I'm trying not to jump to conclusions but...

A little background with the photo. This happened the other night when the temps were about 31 outside. The pipes are all wrapped in pipe insulation, and we've had temps as low as 14 about a month ago for little over a week.

Now for the red flags... we currently don't live in the house because we are remodeling the first floor before we move in. We always leave lights on and we're there just about everyday, but I understand if someone is watching the place they know when we're not going to be there.

So what do you guys think?

Untitled by busterdingo, on Flickr

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it was a freeze situation, it usually splits along the length. Looks like someone started to cut it with a hacksaw, and decided they didn't like the resulting shower they got and stopped.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WHO in their right mind would bother trying to steal a piece of plastic pipe? And if I were trying to steal it, I could cut it apart long before I got drenched.

DavidTu

Reaction score
Henry, get an alarm system. They will be back. I lost $3k in tools before I got smart w/ my unoccupied home, in Seattle btw.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Doesn't look like any copper I have ever seen. The edges are "ragged" and it looks like the surface is "chipped" which is not typical of a copper cut. IF it is copper then it did not freeze because it would be bulged out at that location. Really need to see more of the pipe, especially back to a connection.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks for all the world like copper cut with a 10-12 TPI blade--a jabsaw or some such thing.

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It could a been me, I dn't rember so good. But I was getting thirst, and I Had my saw, adn I was thirsty.
Sorry

I had to go and like change my clothes i got so wet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What kind of saw makes a ragged "S" cut in copper? It must have been a very crooked blade. All of my saws make straight cuts in copper tubing. They also do NOT chip the outside of the tubing.

Henry G

Reaction score
WHO in their right mind would bother trying to steal a piece of plastic pipe? And if I were trying to steal it, I could cut it apart long before I got drenched.

It's copper.

I have no clue what he tried to use to cut this, but it was crude. He also apparently tugged very hard on the pipe at the same time because it had a good bend in it as well.

The photo is very poor because all I had on me was my cellphone, and it had to get fixed asap.

Last edited:

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Sure looks like the work of a stoner to me. It is copper pipe. It's happening a lot out here to brand new homes. Out here small city parks are having the wiring to lights stolen too. It's just a disgrace!

Henry G

Reaction score
Henry, get an alarm system. They will be back. I lost $3k in tools before I got smart w/ my unoccupied home, in Seattle btw.

Update:

I repaired the pipe the next day because I was afraid they would return now that they may know the water has been turned off. I also put a lock on the crawlspace access to keep anyone from going back in. It's not going to stop someone who is determined to get under there, but it should stop these petty thieves.

DavidTu: Like you mentioned, they came back. Luckily the crawlspace is no longer accessable, but the aluminum downspots were torn off the side of the house. I lost two of the 6 the house has, and I noticed the neighbor also lost 3. It seems they must have gotten spooked because they left two of them behind so I locked them under the house. I did report this to the police, but I know there really isn't much they can do about it. It's a good neigborhood, but it doesn't help I'm not living there, and the owner of the house next door won't be moving in until summer.

Looks like I may need another motion light, and possible a secuirty system. I'm sure when I move in there in about a month this crap should stop.

I'm almost sure who it might be, and I let the police know but there isn't much I can do about it.

Henry G

Reaction score
Sure looks like the work of a stoner to me. It is copper pipe. It's happening a lot out here to brand new homes. Out here small city parks are having the wiring to lights stolen too. It's just a disgrace!

When I stopped by the local hardware store to get some supplies I mentioned it to one of the guys there. He told me recently someone who was remodeling a house had all of the wiring removed from the crawlspace. I just have to remind myself it could have been a lot worse than having to fix a small peice of plumbing.

If it was a stoner he would be at home eating cheetos. I'm leaning more towards a crackhead, or meth user.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks