Wastewater from upstairs neighbor in kitchen sink!

Users who are viewing this thread

hilljstr

Reaction score
Hopefully someone in this forum can help answer this question. I live in a three story condo, on the second floor. Twice since I have lived here, my kitchen sink has filled up with dirty dishwater, apparently from my neighbor upstairs. This last time, the backup occurred when I was out, and it spilled out of my sink and all over my kitchen floor, and leaked through the floor to the first floor as well! This is no ordinary tap water; it was filled with food particles and soap. This flooding occurs when my upstairs neighbor drains her sink (after washing dishes) and runs the garbage disposal. I also have a garbage disposal in my unit, but my sink has been empty and disposal clear of food each time this has occured.

Why does the water come into my sink, and then fail to drain? Is it because the pressure of her disposal? All I can think is that maybe her disposal "forces" the water up my sink, and then all the food garbage in the water subsequently blocks my drain, causing the water to back up and flood my kitchen. The condo association plumber said that nothing is wrong with the pipes in the building, and suggested I get a "backflow preventer valve". Is this adequate to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Kitchen Sink Overflow

The common drain line (kitchen drain stack) right below your apartment has a restriction in it, especially if the unit below yours is not affected, (except when your sink overflows :() .
The plumber for the building should snake the line from your sink drain using the right equipment, what happened last time it clogged, how long did it last before it happened again?.
Installing a check valve as they suggested on your line is only a band-aid to the actual problem.

Elisabeth

Reaction score
Wastewater from upstairs neighbor

Hopefully someone in this forum can help answer this question. I live in a three story condo, on the first floor, there's no basement. My toilet was backed up and kitchen sink flooded my kitchen with dirty dishwater, apparently from my neighbor upstairs. I hired a plumber to snake my plumbing and seemed to work temporarily. The plumbers advised me that it's because my building is old and there's depression in the main plumbing stack. Recently, it started backing up again. I need to convince my Condo Board that this is not just my issue, but a building issue. Also, what is the solution?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the water in the sink was not put there by you, it is a common problem shared by one or more units, it is their problem! It is that simple! If they fail to move to correct the problem seek legal counsul.

They are responsible for repairs and damages to your unit!

Last edited:

tnle

Reaction score
Almost the same problem

I live in a one story house. I was doing the dishes and noticed that the sink begun flooding a bit. I made sure there wasnt any food debris in the bottom of the sink and turned on the garbage disposal. THe water went down a bit and then it started rising again. The other sink started to flood a bit but went down a little. then when i went to the master bedroom, the entire bathroom was flooded with water containing food debris... like it was from the garbage disposal. Does anyone know what could be the problem? Now, whenever the kitchen water is running, it somehow travels to the master bedroom sink and floods it. I had to scoop all the water out and flush them all. I can't even use the kitchen water anymore.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Waste water from upstairs

No not main line !
But common drain from kitchen sink into lav. Sink needs the kitchen drain power snaked by a professional drain cleaner :d

you lav sink is 30" high ! The kitchen sink is 36" high water seeks
the lowest level !

I used to do work at some apts, that had this happen all the time !

Last edited by a moderator:

torontoplumbingguy

Reaction score
Call your local plumbing supply emporium, a plumber or your building manager! In my part of town the septic drains and the main drains are seperate so we don't wind up with e=coli infections that kill people. Sounds to me like this is an issue for mighty mouse... or at least a good plumber. Something smells fishy (pardon the pun)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks