Electric Water Heater Side and Back Wall Clearances?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck B

sea-bee
Reaction score
Installing a 40-gallon electric water heater in my smallish (624 sq' ft') Northern Michigan lake side cottage.

Space is limited and I wish to build an three sided alcove for the heater in the bathroom.

What are the side and back wall clearance recommendations, and hazards for a (near) zero clearance.

Also, is a 30-amp breaker sufficient for a 4500 watt unit, and is a 30-amp switch near the heater also sized correctly and a good idea.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are NO clearance limitations for an electric water heater. 30 amp breaker is the standard for residential water heaters, even though they actually only draw about 18 amps. I have only seen a few heaters with a "switch" at the heater, and in the normal course of events it would have limited utility.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You must follow the specific instruction manual for YOUR water heater. hj is correct...you will undoubtedly find the the clearance spec for side and back is 0"

A 25 amp breaker would suffice for a 4500 watt water heater, but since that size breaker is hard to find, they are almost always done on a 30.

DavidTu

Reaction score
My B&W water heater calls for 12" clearance on all sides, I believe. This is for ease of maintenance I assume. So sounds like nothin' in code about it... So I'd be ok with less clearance then, yes?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the way code is sometimes written, is that you install PER THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS, so yes, it may require that clearance to pass code...depends on where you are. Also, keep in mind that when that one does die, if there's no clearance, you may be severely restricted in what you replace it with and may need to go through the remodel phase again. They don't last forever!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks