Need to find a 6" OC shower tub valve replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

lcuga13

Reaction score
Does anyone know if anyone makes a shower/tub faucet that is on 6" center on the hot and cold knobs?

We are trying to get an old family home ready for a new tennant and have a problem with a tub and shower faucet. The push up diverter does not seat properly because of its very old age. The house is on well water and the flow of water through the valve body is also greatly reduced. My father believes that the existing 3 hole valve is an old Sears variety. About 6 years ago, we converted all of the iron pipes in the crawl space to CPVC, but did not change out this bathroom. We are not wanting to redo any of the tile in the shower. It would be nice to find another 6" OC 3 hole valve, but so far have not found one.

We figure our other option is to put in a faucet kit we saw at Lowe's that is labeled for Mobile Home which has a full shroud around the entire faucet and knobs. At least this would allow us to enlarge the existing outer holes and then seal the new shroud/escutcheon to the tile.

Any thoughts on finding a 6" OC 3 hole valve, or other ideas on how to retrofit?
Thanks,
Lyle

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most common shower valves have remodel cover plates available for installing a new valve through the wall without removing tile unnecessarily. New valves have an anti-scald feature built in which is required in many areas.

lcuga13

Reaction score
I am not following your suggestion. A remodel plate would just cover up the large holes. But to use an 8" spacing 2 knob valve would require enlarging the existing holes and possibly risk cracking the tiles. I would be very happy to find a valve with a 6" spacing between the knobs.

Again, what I have is a 3 hole setup with all 3 hole in line horizontally. The hot and cold knobs are in line with the tub spout. The knobs (valve spacing) are 6" on center. It looks very much like this version (but this is an 8") http://www.lowes.com/pd_232617-69305-3010-501-CH-L_4294798253_4294937087_?productId=3077837&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Tub%2Band%2BShower%2BFaucets_4294798253_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am not following your suggestion. A remodel plate would just cover up the large holes. But to use an 8" spacing 2 knob valve would require enlarging the existing holes and possibly risk cracking the tiles.

1920.jpg

I didn't understand that your spigot was part of the unit. An old 2 valve shower is commonly refitted using a single handle control and remodel plate. Because current code requires the shower valve to be thermostatically controlled/pressure balanced, you may have a hard time finding what you want.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To limit your liability, it is recommended that you get rid of that old control valve an put one in that meets current codes. To do that, you'd need something like the remodel plate to cover the existing holes, and provide a mount for the new single-handle valve. There are two handle valves that meet current codes, but they tend to be thermostatically controlled, and the more costly option. Technically, you can repair what you have, but if you replace it, it must be brought up to code. In a tenant situation, updating it is a really good idea.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You have two problems, one is the 6" centers valve, and the other is that it is surface mounted. Go to a recreational vehicle service company and check with them. That valve is often used in RV coaches.

KrazyMomma

Reaction score
Did you ever find some tub valve repair for the 6 in centers? I saw some at Lowes but they told me that they were to be used in mobile homes, I really don't understand why. I am trying to find info for changing out the 6" to 8" I can't find any instructions. If you had to convert yours to the 8" would you please share your how to's. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Going from 6" to 8" is such a small difference, (1" on either side), that making the offset would be somewhat difficult. The reason Lowe's said that is because they are usually only used in RVs these days. Back in the old days, Milwaukee, UR, and Lady Kenmore all sold them for use in homes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
These are not cheap, but are adjustable for centers from 5-7". They make several versions, one has a tub spout built-in and it is available in other styles and various finishes. I have a similar one in my bathroom as I didn't want to deal with an air duct behind that wall - this gave me access to the whole shebang from the finished side. http://www.groheamerica.com/lib/0/catalogue_p1/gw/en_US/34189000_GW.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks