Toto Drake II Tank to Bowl Gasket too large

Users who are viewing this thread

pattyh

Reaction score
Hi, We just received our new Drake II and in trying to install the Tank to Bowl Gasket, we have found that the gasket is just too large and prevents the tank from sitting flush against the Bowl. There's approximately a 1/2 cm gap between the bowl and tank. This causes the Tank to wobble when we use the flush. So far,we haven't noticed any leaks, but in calling Toto, they told us to soak the Gasket in warm water for 10 minutes because it might be too stiff... we tried that and it didn't work.. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it possible that they just included the wrong gasket? We just received it within the week, so shouldn't they just mail us a new gasket?
Thanks a bunch.. love this forum - it's what encouraged us to choose a Toto and ultimately, the Drake II.
Patty

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It can take a surprising amount of turning the nuts to compress the thing, but it will let the tank come down on the bowl. Just do it evenly, a little bit, side to side (i.e., don't get one side tight then tighten the other). Since I don't do it often, I like to put a sheet of paper between the tank and bowl, and stop when I get a little friction when trying to pull it out. This leaves a few thousandths of an inch so things can expand and contract a little without putting stress on the porcelain. A new gasket will just be exactly the same...they all are that way.

pattyh

Reaction score
thanks jadnashua..i passed the info to my husband.. he tried to play around with it, but he really doesn't think it's going to fit.. the gap between the bowl and the tank after putting on the gasket is a 1/2 cm. Ultimately, i think he said something about folding it down on itself to make it work.. not sure.. but right now, it's stable and not leaking.. hopefully i won't find a huge puddle in the bathroom one day.

thanks again..

It can take a surprising amount of turning the nuts to compress the thing, but it will let the tank come down on the bowl. Just do it evenly, a little bit, side to side (i.e., don't get one side tight then tighten the other). Since I don't do it often, I like to put a sheet of paper between the tank and bowl, and stop when I get a little friction when trying to pull it out. This leaves a few thousandths of an inch so things can expand and contract a little without putting stress on the porcelain. A new gasket will just be exactly the same...they all are that way.

jiawa

Reaction score
When I read this, my impression is exactly the same as what Jim said.
I installed a Drake (my very first pluming work) last month. When I put the tank on top of the bowl, there is at least a 1/2cm gap if not more. I remember I was wondering a little bit. Then, just by following the instruction, I tighten them down little by little until all three contact points meet. It is solid as one piece.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have to agree with the previous answers. Toto toilet tank to bowl connections are pretty foolproof. Just alternate tighten the bolts, bringing each just to the point of being snug before going to the next and repeat as needed until the 3 contact points touch.

engrave123

Plumber
Reaction score
I have also noticed on the Toto Eco-Drake that getting the tank to rest on the bowl is not going to be easy. The bolts are tightened to the point of red flags going up. This seems to be a new occurrence, since I have installed a few dozen Totos and just recently encounter this problem. My fix, that I feel comfortable with, is to tighten down as much as I comfortably can, look at the gap at the rear of the tank, which usually is less than a 1/4 inch, loosen the bolts a bit, insert 2 wobble wedges from the back so that they don't show, and tighten the bolts again. The result is no wobble and all is tight enough for no leaks around the tank seal. I will continue this method until something changes with this problem. If the tank tightens down all the way without the wedges, then no need for them. Frank

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks