Looking for treatment system recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Fishguy

Reaction score
I am in need of a new well water treatment system. Our water has everything bad that could be in it, high iron (both kinds), sulfur smell, high hardness and nasty bacteria. We need something that will disinfect, purify, soften and filter.
Not looking for a debate to start up just suggestions on a whole system.

Thanks,
Steve

Fishguy

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, debates usually turn in to arguements. In this case someone may find that they spent more on a system than they should have, get upset and take it out on their dog. :)

Here are the results from my state lab:

Units mg/L
Arsenic................ <0.005
Barium................. <0.1
Cadmium................ <0.001
Calcium................ 75
Chloride............... 21.00
Chromium............... <0.01
Copper................. <0.05
Fluoride............... <0.20
Iron................... 2.90
Lead................... <0.005
Magnesium.............. 6
Manganese.............. <0.16
Mercury................ <0.0005
Nitrate................ <1.00
Nitrite................ <0.10
PH..................... 7.2
Selenium............... <0.005
Silver................. <0.05
Sodium................. 20.00
Sulfate................ 21.00
Total Alkalinity....... 219
Total Hardness......... 210
Zinc................... <0.05
E.coli, Coliilert...... Absent
Tot. Coliform, ........ Present

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Regardless of who's equipment you use, it's going to cost you a few bucks to straighten that out. Softener, AN filter, iron filter, chlorine injector. I would find a reputable treatment guy in your area because when you have that much filtration equipment, sooner or later you are going to need parts and or service and the last thing you want is to buy something that you can't get parts for. also, all the big box stuff is cheapo crap that ain't going to stand up over time. You want good quality equipment. My first choice would be someone that will sell you Clack valves but Fleck would be OK also.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I've always liked a good argument, they get the blood flowing and peaks the level of concentration while all the senses come to life. They're about as good for all that as driving an 18 wheeler through Chicago during rush hour in a hell of a thunderstorm. Or landing a 2 seat plane on a short grass strip cut out of the woods of upstate NY in a cross wind.

Anyway, all I see you needing is a softener and a Class A UV light. Or.... a chlorination system, turbidity filter then a carbon filter, or a carbon like Centaur that can be used for turbidity, and then a softener.

I don't see any need for an AN filter.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
apologies, I apparently need to read a little more carefully. No AN filter needed. Didn't even consider the UV light either but it would probably take care of the bacteria problem.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since this is the pump and well forum have you talked to local drillers to see if you can drill deeper and obtain a higher quality of water? You will spend 5x or more for treatment over the lifetime than one good deep well. Sometimes better water cannot be had but often by going deeper you can solve most of your problems and skip all the maintenance and headaches that water treatment involves.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
sometimes a dog needs to be put in check :) ... i can make guarantees on wells in 99% of my service area. my dad can usually tell people exactly what to expect at certain depths within 40-50 mile radius of our shop.. and how deep each well will go at that particular location within a few feet, right off the top of his head. he can remember wells he drilled 20 years ago, i can barely remember what i wore yesterday. but pretty well all drillers keep good records to look back at. anybody can tinker with pumps and treatment, but experience is EVERYTHING in drilling biz.. thats why you see so many tight-knit family drilling businesses.. usually the older the better. someone could give you the nicest equipment available to start a drilling business here, but without any knowledge of the area you would be broke soon if you didnt work yourself to death first.

i agree, its better to get the best quality well available to that area.. then treat from there. i gotta friend that bought a 1300$ well.. ended up getting ripped later on a 8k$ fly-by-night treatment system, water still sucks and he has constant maintenance. his dad lives down the road from him and has a 4000$ well with a cheap softener, water is awesome... thats gotta hurt. he said every time he visits, his dad offers him a glass of water... lol

*i hope you opened the faucet and let it run a generous amount of time before taking that sample*

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you mean that you and your Dad do water testing on your wells so you know of water quality problems in your area over the years since the well was drilled good for you. If not, you can't know of those problems. Most drillers don't do that and don't have a clue of water quality problems years later. Especially with the rock bore wells hundreds of feet deep in the hills and mountains of PA and the rest of the NE. PA, where I'm from, historically had the largest population on private wells in the US until TX went to number one in the 2000 census.

Running the water a generous amount of time before sampling for a bacteria test may rarely prevent a positive test result but... that can endanger the family because they don't run water like that before they use it.

BTW, over the last 25 years hundreds of people with water quality problems have told me they have had a driller do whatever to correct the problem and it didn't correct any of their problems and it cost them thousands of dollars. In some cases the efforts made things worse. Like making and installing an underground "aerator" to treat for iron or H2S with IRB present. Or telling people to shock their well every month or two. Or to run the water for days. Or drilling a new well for $10-20,000 and getting the same or worse water quality. Some were 3rd or 4th generation drillers. IMO as with all professions, there are bad guys in water treatment and well drilling, and we just hear more about the water guys because there are more people buying water treatment equipment and thereby many more water guys than well drillers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks