Oil Boiler Overheating

Users who are viewing this thread

soaddrummer

Reaction score
My boiler is set to the aquastat all the way down to 140 and the burner will fire until 200 is reached then shut off after the relief valve shoots out steam and water. I am not sure if it does this because there is a limit, but seems like the connection from my thermostat to the boiler isn't working. Thermostat is wired properly, but when I set the thermostat to 15C, it goes up to 20C at times, can anyone help? I have a technician coming in during the week but is cold and would like to see if i can fix this. I have heat just have to manual shut down the power to the boiler because it reaches 200 which throws the relief valve open. With the high and low points on the relay set to the lowest, why is it going to 200? wiring problem? I can manually turn on the power and run the burner until 160 and shut it down but the curc pump will not run as well. The boil was to heat a small apartment building maybe 8 units, would i have to replace the nozzle to a lower btu nozzle?

Last edited:

soaddrummer

Reaction score
The boiler i am using is a Clare HMT with water heater coil which is removed, would the wiring to the aquasat need to be modified without the coil possibly?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your high limit is set at 140 and the burner continues to fire past that setting then the aquastat is bad or the thermocouple is not fully seated in the aquastat well

dapoppa

Reaction score
As Tom said or an accumulation of mud or crud on the outside of the well restrcting heat transfer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many boilers rely on a well into the water where a sensor is installed. The sensor stays dry, but it must be fully inserted. It might be somethings (as already noted) as the sensor (aquastat) is not seated all the way in, and is thus sensing air temp, rather than the water temp. It could be bad as well. Testing the sensor can usually be done with a multimeter and the spec sheet. The resistance across it will vary based on the temperature.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks