Moving laundry from basement to garage

Users who are viewing this thread

dbol

Reaction score
I was wondering how I should go about running my drain line? I was planning on using a plumbing outlet box for my drain but I am not sure that will work to well. I am planning on putting my washer on the left and sink tub to the right.

I want it to look neat and not just run the washer drain into the tub.

If I run the drain in between the studs and in to basement where does the trap go? Or I can run it through the wall into the basement. About 18 inches off the floor I can drill a hole and run my drain there.

Attachments

• P1140031.JPG
    P1140031.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,511

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The trap should be at the bottom of the standpipe, above the floor. It will also need a vent, which must go through the roof or into the attic to a point where it can tie into an existing vent through the roof.

A laundry should also have a dedicated electrical circuit.

Don't overlook that this kind of work requires a permit and inspection.

dbol

Reaction score
I have two dedicated outlet by the dryer which is to the left.
Can I use a pro vent by the sink. I have used these many times in other remodels.
20663big.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Can I use a pro vent by the sink.

Using an AAV such as the one in your picture is generally frowned upon, and if it would be allowed would be best answered by your local plumbing code and/or inspector.
An AAV also needs to be exposed/accessable, so installing a nice flush mount washer box would be kind of fruitless when the vent termination cannot be hidden in the wall.

attachment.php

dbol

Reaction score
I plan on having all my work checked by my plumber and inspected. I don't think I will be using a washer drain box unless I can vent it through the roof. I may just drain it into the sink. I might be able to get a vent up through the roof. I'll have to check. When I bought the house the laundry was in the kitchen. Which is on the opposite side of this wall. Thanks for your help.
If I do get a vent up through the roof can you use a washer drain and sink drain into the same line.

dbol

Reaction score
I don't get how it is lazy. May be unacceptable, but lazy?

If there are no other viable options and they are accepted by code what is the lazy about that.

I am not putting it inside a wall.

I looked to see if I could take it to the roof and may still be able to but may have a cook top vent in the way.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I don't get how it is lazy. May be unacceptable, but lazy?

If there are no other viable options and they are accepted by code what is the lazy about that.

There is always a proper way of venting something. Usually its just "too much work" to make the repairs to finishes and run the proper vent...

How is it anything BUT lazy?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent can run horizontally (with pitch towards the drain) once 6" or more above the flood rim of the sink, so it can go through the roof wherever it needs to be.
There are very few situations where a proper vent cannot be run.

dbol

Reaction score
Major relief. I took out another section of plaster wall and found the old vent pipe that was disconnected. I should have no problems with the vent pipe now. There was a cap on it above the roof so I took it off and ran a snake down and found it was clear all the way through.

I was hoping to just use a fernco and connect the new to the old. Or is that too lazy. :)

I am running 2 inch abs does the vent also need to be 2 inch?

Thanks, Doug.

Attachments

• P1160033.JPG
    P1160033.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,214
  • P1160035.JPG
    P1160035.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,237
  • P1160034.JPG
    P1160034.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,225

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You can use a banded coupler, of which fernco is one brand.

Because you are working in an attached garage, you will also need to make sure that the replacement wall board you install meets the requirements for a firewall. I believe 2 layers of 5/8 drywall will be required, but again, that would be something best answered by your local inspector.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
If you only want to do what is "easy", "cheap", and "fast"... why even ask, you're just going to ignore good advice anyways...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The vent only can be 1-1/2". However, if the existing pipe you found is 2", I just stay with 2". Since this is above ground connection, be sure you use the banded coupler and not the plain neoprene sleeve with only 2 hose clamps. Those are only approve for buried work.

dbol

Reaction score
you know, I don't deserve that type of response. I was only joking about the lazy response. as noted by the smile. I never would have come here if I did not want to do it the right way.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some of us, myself included, sometimes get ticked when someone asks for approval of doing something incorrectly and argues with those who criticize and offer correct advice. I don't think you are guilt of that. I think your question was legitimate, and you were receptive to the advice you got. From what I can tell in my unprofessional opinion, you are on the right track. Finding that vent pipe will be a great help.

dbol

Reaction score
If it is wrong to do a plumbing job by myself have it checked by a plumber that I have used in the past and have it inspected. Then I am in the wrong, but I thought that this site would help me do this job by myself. I have learned a few things in just one day of posting. Thanks for your help.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If it is wrong to do a plumbing job by myself have it checked by a plumber that I have used in the past and have it inspected. Then I am in the wrong, but I thought that this site would help me do this job by myself. I have learned a few things in just one day of posting. Thanks for your help.

Don't fret the negatives, we sometimes get cantankerous from smelling too much poo!:D:D:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks