Fleck 5600 vs. 2510, Econominder vs. SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

borisgoodenough

Reaction score
I'm about to get a 48K replacement softener that should provide efficient salt use based on our usage, hardness and a little iron. A few questions:

(1) I've had recommendations for both the Fleck 2510 and 5600 valves. Claimed advantages of the 2510 are that its motors and 1" internals make it more robust, and it has more flexible programming. Claims for the 5600 are that it's simpler, cheaper and long-term reliable, and it's not likely that I'd need the extra cycle-adjustment capabilities of the 2510. Thoughts? With about 1 grain of iron, would I want a double-backwash capability?

(2) Our area has summer electrical storms that cause occasional power outages and surges. Because of that, a couple of folks suggested the Econominder instead of the SXT. I'm not worried about losing the SXT's water-metering when the electricity is out -- when it's out, so is the well pump, so there's nothing to meter. But are there reports of issues with surge damage to the SXT, like fried circuit boards, or other electrical-related issues?

(3) Do we need a salt grid in the brine tank, or is that overkill?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Salt grid is good, but not needed for it to work..

If the motor on the 5600(non SXT) goes out you can cycle it with out elect while the 2510 will need power to set to each part of its cycle.

5600 is all factory settings save for salt setting... 2510 each part of the cycle can be changed..

Motor goes out on the 5600 it is only one and for under $50, the 2510 has 2 motors..
The SXT has the control board and the cam motor... plus the SXT control board can run in the could be in the 200 range..

5600 can have the seals and spacers removed with fingers, while the 2510 can be done that way the tool makes it easier...

SXT with the meter has the gallon count with default days..

5600 has been around for some 40 years , the 2510 come out in late 90's

Both can take the same bypass...

JKERN

Reaction score
Both valves are very capable of doing what you need to do the comment about the motors rings true in my experience at least. Our power grid here in South Eastern New Mexico is also prone to brown out and surges. In the past 15 years we have replaced multiple 5600 motors compared to none on the older 2510 that we have in the back of our store. Having lots of experience with the SXT programming system I would highly recommend it compared to your basic econominder. The salt grid is up to you some people like them some people don't we've built systems both ways for years and for the most part people seem to like them. Like I said in another post you should always put a surge protector on you equipment we have several hundred rental softeners out there and we standardly put surge protectors on all of them and have never had a problem with electronics being damaged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks