My first post

Users who are viewing this thread

Willie Two

Reaction score
Firstly I'd like to thank all the experts here who are willing to help the DYSers. I am in a different trade, more commercial, but I also like to help other people do things the right way if I can. Thanks again. I am building a new home myself from the ground up. Currently just in the planning stages, I will be putting in two main floor bathrooms with almost back to back water closets common to the water wall. There will be about 4 feet between the centers of the toilet flanges. I want to place the stack in the best location and I have my first of many questions ( I'll post more questions later ) :) The question is can I enter the vertical 3 inch pipe with what would be like a double "Y" fitting or should I put one entry just below the other. The stack will be straight up vented and the area underneath the floor joists is a 4 foot crawl space. After the toilets are connect the 3 or what could be 4 inch drain pipe will travel in a sloped / horizontal run about 30 feet to exit the crawlspace into the main drain. Hope this question makes sense. I am in Canada. Thanks to all who reply.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
neither a ]"double Y", nor a sanitary cross, is the correct fitting. You want a "back to back fixture fitting", which halfway between a sanitary cross and a double combination Y-1/8 bend. For two toilets, all you need is a 3" drain line. There are many good locations for the vertical line between the toilets, the BEST one will depend on HOW the toilets line up with the floor framing.

Willie Two

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, the good thing here is the floor joists are not framed yet, easy to reposition the joists or do a "hatch frame" as required to get a well planned out drain system. I went to the canplas website but could not find the fitting you speak of, can you post a picture ?? The entire system will consist of 2 tubs, almost back to back and 2 sinks back to back. I will post a picture as soon as I figure out how :) Thanks again.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
canplas does make a double fixture fitting (abs), but you will have to look hard for the #. Don't expect the guys at the counter to know what you are talking about, and certainly not the big box helper. It will also cost you around 50 bux or so for the one fitting.

Willie Two

Reaction score
Under the floor is just a crawlspace, never to developed. For me this is just about doing it correctly, it will be inspected, and having it work well. I've attached pictures for you experts to pick apart , please do.

Attachments

• S2010087.jpg
    S2010087.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 327
  • bathroom piping.jpg
    bathroom piping.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 346

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
on paper that looks fairly reasonable, however your lower toilet connection is at risk from the upper one, and you should run at least 2" to both of your double fixture tees.

Willie Two

Reaction score
I have lots of room and don't mind buying extra pipe :) . With all the fancy toilets out there I don't want any "flushing" problems after the house is built. That being said, is this revised arrangement better ?? Thanks BTW the trap arms should read 1 1/2 not 1/2 as shown.

Attachments

• S2010088.jpg
    S2010088.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, but you still cannot use a "double fixture tee" for the sinks, either. This is what it looks like and it does NOT cost 50 bucks, regardless of its size.
abs_fixture_cross.jpg

Last edited:

Willie Two

Reaction score
So now I am curious, when would you / can you use the double fixture T. In my case I can see the drain possibly going in the wrong direction or as mentioned in a previous post it could an issue during snaking or other maintenance.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Yes, I am curious as to why a double fixture tee cannot be used for the sinks either. And yes, a double fixture tee really is that expensive here in Canada. Maybe in the States they seem to stock it at the big box stores, but here it is a special order item, so by the time you factor in shipping from the factory, it does cost 50 bux.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the United States, it has to be a fixture cross like the one pictured in hj's post.
You can use a double tee as a vent fitting, not for waste.
I realize that Canada is different, so maybe it doesn't matter if it can't be snaked.
We also use 2" where the two meet, not 1.5"

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
But not in the USA. Canada uses a double tee, the United States uses a double fixture fitting. Since this guy is in Canada, it doesn't really matter. He could use a rubber hose into a bucket and it would pass inspection.

abs_fixture_cross.jpg

Double fixture fitting for two lavs, for plumbing in 50 States, but not needed in Canada.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
So now I am curious, when would you / can you use the double fixture T. In my case I can see the drain possibly going in the wrong direction or as mentioned in a previous post it could an issue during snaking or other maintenance.

I don't know what Canada code says but in the U.S. if you are using the UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) you can use a double fixture fitting (No. 5 fitting) at all three of your sections on your drawing, including the toilets.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Yes, the Canadian code is behind the time and allows for the use of a double santee to connect back to back fixtures, but any decent plumber knows not to use that fitting there. The original poster knows he has to use a double fixture tee (what you are calling a double fixture fitting) as is described in his drawings. A regular cross is referred to as a double santee here.

While I do agree that the UPC is an excellent code overall, it is also a very expensive and sometimes inefficient way to plumb in my opinion. And I don't even think half the states in your country use that code.

Willie Two

Reaction score
Well, I am 45 min. from the US border so maybe I'll look for them the next time I am over at least for the two sinks, otherwise here it is in the Canadian Plumbing Code book.......... On another thought; because I have plenty of room in the crawl space do you all think I should split up and separate vent each arm of the tub drains to be sure of no future problems ?? ( now is the time to spend an extra 30 bucks on pipe and fittings)

Attachments

• S2010093.jpg
    S2010093.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 136

Willie Two

Reaction score
I am also guessing there is no exact requirement as to the height in the wall of the trap arm connection as long as it meets the rules of common sense ??? ( Terry, I like that rubber hose idea ). Here is my latest attempt at meeting the Canadian Code but really appreciate all the advice both Canadian & US. Your opinions please on this latest drawing.

Attachments

• S2010094.jpg
    S2010094.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks