2 sink vanity drainage question

Users who are viewing this thread

JuanSigned

Reaction score
I'm underway on a gut and remodel of my master bathroom. The old vanity had one sink where the new one will have 2. The picture shows the framing for the new wall, the positions of the existing plumbing, and the blue tape on the wall shows the length (72") and position of the new vanity. I'd like some opinions of the best way to drain the new setup. To attach to the old stub out would require a 90 degree bend and there are already a number of bends in the wall.

My questions are given a 1 1/2" drain and about 5' to the far P-trap does that require a vent for the far sink?
bathvanity.jpg
OR

would I be better off to cut of the old stub and drain and vent it like this?
bathvanity drain plan.jpg
The first choice is a lot less work, but if my research is correct the 90 degree connection requires a clean out. (which I'd rather not do for aesthetic reasons) Bottom line is the drain system needs to work well and now it the time to do it right (ie the first time).

JuanSigned

Reaction score
Terry that's just what I was looking for, so much better and simpler than what I was thinking.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
Hey code guys, does this look OK? It's just dry fitted right now, no glue yet. All 1 1/2" ABS. The vent will connect directly out side and the lines have a definite slope towards the drain. I had a heck of a time finding a double sanitary T. The big orange box place didn't have them, had to go to a plumbing supply place and they had exactly one of them. (which is good because one is all I needed.) There no clean out in there, should I throw one in while I'm at it?

bathvanitydryfit.JPG

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I hope you glued that all together already. You can't dry fit abs without glue and then expect it to go together the same w/ glue, your measurements will be off.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
No glue yet, but everything is just a bit long. I'll cut it to size when I glue it up. First I wanted to work out the transitions to the existing plumbing.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
A double santee is exactly the wrong fitting to use and you are pushing the limits of the trap arm length with your right sink.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
A double santee is exactly the wrong fitting to use and you are pushing the limits of the trap arm length with your right sink.

Uh - so what is exactly the correct fitting to use? :confused: The fitting I'm using looks just like the one in Terry's photo (well its a little smaller at 1 1/2") And the right drain arm will be about 24" when installed. Is that too long?drainfitting.jpg

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
You want a double fixture fitting. It has baffles in it.
abs_fixture_cross.jpg

You wont find one at Home Depot or Lowes or whatever...

JuanSigned

Reaction score
If nothing else this project is giving me new respect for plumbers. Threading long pieces of inflexible pipe isn't fun, and then there are those 9,000 different types of fittings. I hope the plumbing supply houses are open tomorrow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1.That fitting is NOT the same as the one in Terry's photo. He used a back to back fixture fittting, which has "sweeps" NOT baffles.
2. It should be 2" from below the fitting to the connection to the drain system.
3. You have absolutely NO WAY to unplug the line if it gets clogged.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
It's probably not totally up to code, but its better than what was there. I found everything I needed at Lowes :confused: (I'd stopped going there because their selection of electrical and building supplies wasn't as good as the orange box place.) Anyway, lets just say you can't trust anyone behind the counter or in the aisles of of the big box stores or the plumbing supply houses. The guy at the supply house said "sure that'll work!" when I asked him will the double sanitary T work for what I want to do. I guess I didn't ask him is this the correct fitting for two vanity sinks.
bathvanityfinished.jpg.jpg

Here is the double fitting fixture I used. Can someone share with me where you would use a double sanitary T? I held the two of them side by side and while they are different they are also very similar.

BTW the camera angle is wonky those supply lines are actually parallel.
drainfitting2.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A sanitary cross would normally ONLY be used in a vent system. The two fittings are only "similar" because they both have four openings, and if you CANNOT SEE the differences, then you will just have to trust us. And you still do NOT have any means of "snaking" the drain if it plugs up.

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
I think someone should have told him that if you snake one sink, the snake will go right through the 4 way fitting into the other sinks ptrap

Willie Two

Reaction score
Just curious, is there a code requirement for the height the trap arm comes out of the wall if you did not know what the end resulting fixture profile is going to be ??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The only height requirement, is that the tail piece can't be too long, located on the same floor.
Normally a 30" cabinet height for a lav would be 18" or so for the trap arm. As the counter height is raised, so can the drain be raised.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks