Double sink shooting water up thru drain when garbage disposal is on

Users who are viewing this thread

gwheels16

Reaction score
Hi, I have a kitchen sink that drains well threw both sinks when the water is on. However, if the water is running and the garbage disposal is on, water shoots up sometimes 2 feet in the air up thru the other sink drain.
There seems to be no clog in either drain. They both drain when just the water is running. The sink does not have an air valve. Is this the problem? The only other thing that comes to mind is that maybe the drain pipes are not hooked up correctly. Maybe water that is still in the hiorizontal drain pipe from the disposal, shoots up out the other sink drain. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
sink_dw.jpg

This image shows ckose to how it should be hooked up, that tee in the drain is a baffel tee, thats what keeps one sink from draining into the other; if your hook up a lot different to that post a image and we will get back to you:)

gwheels16

Reaction score
solution found thank you.

Thanks for your help. It was a rental house, that had the sink re-installed after new granite countertops. I took the drain apart and found that they had installed the drain T with the baffle backwards| The baffle was pointing up towards the sink drain instead of down towards the trap. I re-insatalled the baffle correctly and had to redo some of the other piping but now it works like a charm. No more shooting water into the air. Fixed and works fine.

AlishaO

Reaction score
sink_dw.jpg

This image shows ckose to how it should be hooked up, that tee in the drain is a baffel tee, thats what keeps one sink from draining into the other; if your hook up a lot different to that post a image and we will get back to you:)

Hi, I have this same issue with the water shooting (up to 1+ foot in the air) from the second sink. Both sinks drain fine. A photo of how the disposal is hooked up is attached. Is it connected incorrectly? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 3,326

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your install has lots of issues!
1. You can't have the waste trying to go uphill to get to the drain...the connection the wall is too high for the outlet of the disposer.
2. It's never a good idea to use that corrugated plastic downspout from the other sink...lots of places for crud to accumulate and smell really nasty after short order.
3. Doesn't appear that the horizontal piece coming from the right-hand sink has a baffle in it. The combination of trying to push waste uphill to get to the drain and no baffle means it will take the path of least resistance...out the other sink. Eventually, a lot of it will drain, but leaving some waste backed up in the disposer, radically shortening its life.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
AlishaO. That photo shows what happens when someone decides ANY ONE CAN BE A PLUMBER. The proper solution is to take it ALL apart and throw it away. Then start over and have a plumber do it correctly.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It looks to me like you have too deep of a trap. I'm not a plumber so someone correct me if I'm wrong - but I think you need to do the trap along with the other recommendations. The "air gap" device shown is needed if you have a dishwasher connection to the disposer. If you don't have a dishwasher adding this AAV won't help.

29792-8223ea54d4a7e984d6de317ae2765897.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The disposal is the black thing on the left.

NOW, you tell me. actually, if someone did not know that, then they have absolutely no business working on, or advising about, plumbing. And, the "black think" unless it was made by GE or Hotpoint is a "disposER", not a "disposAL".

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
It looks to me like you have too deep of a trap.
I agree. I don't think that alone would cause the symptoms.
AlishaO, check the above posts for the word "baffle. As HJ said, this should be redone. Fortunately the wall connection is at a good height.

TrapSealDepth-300x233.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The disposer acts like a pump...having to push the waste up that far from the outlet of the trap means more problems. If it were just liquids, might not be as much of an issue, but the water will take the path of least resistance, and it's easier to push it out through the other sink than down then up again and out through the trap into the wall. A baffle will help, but may not solve the issue unless you reconfigure things. Ideally, you just want the trap outlet to turn the 90, then straight into the wall...it would be much easier if that inlet were lower for the amount of room you have. With all of those extra tubular connections, if things get knocked, things might start leaking underneath as well.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To me, the tee you have looks like the kind that installs on the horizontal with a baffle in the middle.
You have it installed vertical, which will push water toward the other bowl. Remove the tee and replace with the proper baffle tee meant for vertical installation.
And it would be nice to do something with the p-trap you have too.

What you have
http://www.oatey.com/products/brass...outlet-waste/center-outlet-waste-w-baffle-tee

What you need
http://www.oatey.com/products/brass...plastic-outlet-waste/plastic-end-outlet-waste

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks