Advice requested: wring an air compressor motor

Users who are viewing this thread

henny_316

Reaction score
I purchased a 60 gallon air compressor Kobalt 60-Gallon Cast Iron Oil Lubricated Air Compressor with Heavy Duty Induction Motor
from Lowes. It didn't include the power cable. I purchased 3/C 12 awg SJ00W and a 20A/250V straight blade plug (I know this says 125V, I actually have the 250V). Where do I hook up the black, green, and white cables to inside the motor and the plug? Here are pictures I took and drew. The posts next to #3 are the only open posts that I see.

Thanks for your help!

Edit *The yellow wire off of post 4 isn't yellow, it's white.*

Attachments

• K244gl.jpg
    K244gl.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 589
  • csLval.jpg
    csLval.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 863
  • oxXxQl.jpg
    oxXxQl.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 600
Last edited:

henny_316

Reaction score
That actually makes a whole lot of sense. Although the pressure switch didn't appear to have a breakout panel where the motor does have a notch that is cable sized open (bottom right of the last picture.) I'll check that out again when I get home though. Thanks!

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Never saw a Lowes rig without a plug. Was it a return?

Absolutely looks like a 120v rig to me, coming from the pressure switch, where your 120v plug should come in.

Better get better information or save that receipt for the burn out.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I just think we need a law about HP ratings. 3.7 HP is likely derived from a 1.5 HP motor plus its [fake] service factor plus a lot of fiction.

How about those 5 HP shop vacs that plug into your 15 amp 120v outlet? WOW!

Someone actually sued Sears years ago and won a settlement on this issue.

Since its a dedicated 240v rig, it would have been nice if they ran a black and red wire to the motor along with a ground from the switch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks