(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Modcon with IHW Tweaking

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Something like this can help a lot with weird power problems...http://www.amazon.com/ICM491-Single-...oltage+control
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I was thinking more something like this:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products...xtModelID=4910

My uncle is an electrician and told me he would install a surge protector for the whole electrical panel that goes in the top slot of each bus on the panel. But that won't help with voltage regulation, only spikes.

I haven't been able to find any economically priced hardwired voltage regulators. Is it acceptable to wire a standard 3 prong plug on to my feed to the boiler and plug it into this before going to the cutoff switch?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

My boiler is plugged into a receptacle, so at least where I live, it passed code.

That device monitors the power, that controls a relay that can be used to disable operation if the power is out of range (high or low). Plus, if the power is flakey, it will not energize the relay until it stabilizes, and you can set a delay after it's stable before that happens. Adding whole house surge suppression would take care of the rest of the things. I have one in my HVAC system that disrupts the 24vac control voltages so that nothng can turn on until the power is stable. I rely on the whole house surge suppression to handle the spikes and noise, and this to protect the motors and compressor from severe brownouts.

Depending on the panel, you may be able to plug a surge suppressor in as a CB-like device, or there are numerous panel surge suppression devices available with varying degrees of protection. I put one from Mersen (sp?) at my mother's house after she lost the control board in her frig and the microwave on the same day. There are a few threads discussing this you can read for thoughts - use search.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I ended up ordering this model

http://m.tripplite.com/en/model.cfm?txtModelID=208

It should be here Monday so I'll wire it up then.

I ended up getting a new control module thurs. I ordered it from a supply website and they happened to get one in stock. I swapped it out and the new one works. I put in all my old parameters. However, the repair module works with all models of the boiler so you have to pick the right one (it comes defaulted to the 80 model). I found that you need a factory password to change this which I don't have. Burnham would not give it to me and the same tech I had come over last time told me it would be at least 2 weeks before he could come over.

Does anyone know the 'factory password'?

Is it bad to run the boiler with the model set to this setting?
    Last edited by mage182; 12-01-2012 at 09:39 PM.