Stealth toilet by Niagara, Niagra

Users who are viewing this thread

lori g

Reaction score
stealth_toilet.jpg

stealth_a6.jpg

I am a newbie and homeowner. Doing a kid's bathroom remodel. Looking for a new toilet that won't plug. Does anyone know anything about the new Stealth toilets? and maybe how it compares to a Toto Ultramax? I am moving the toilet in the bathroom over 5 feet. I can pull up the floor but can't change any of the walls in the room or below the room (it's on the second floor) to make the toilet drainage a straight shot down to the basement. Any advice is greatly welcomed! Thank you.
Lori

N7717 elongated ADA, 500 grams MaP
N7716 regular ADA, 400 grams MaP

stealth_inside_tank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terry is being very tactful in his reply. The Briggs Vacuity was a real, I man a REAL, dog. In my opinion, the best toilet for your purpose is a Toto Drake. This is not to say Ultra Max would not be a good choice, it's a great toilet of course, but perhaps a bit pricey for the kid's bathroom. Either way, I would avoid the Niagara.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I installed a niagra flapperless unit once....it was interesting to see a new take on toilet design, but overall I was not impressed. If you watch the video for the Stealth, you will see, that while it does have a reasonable flush, the bowl wash is lacking.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It sort of reminds me of a Toto Aquia dual flush at the .9 gallon setting. That seems to flush everything too with the half flush, and again with little water in the bowl.

SamC

Reaction score
If the Vacuity plugged, very careful plunging was required to avoid forcing sewage up the tube connecting the trapway and the tank. Was anything done with the Niagara design to solve this problem?

GeorgiaPeachj

Retail Plumbing Sales
Reaction score
Stealth Toilet

Could someone please tell me if anyone has heard anything about the Stealth .8 GPF toilet and how it works? It is from Niagara Conservation. thanks

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Could someone please tell me if anyone has heard anything about the Stealth .8 GPF toilet and how it works? It is from Niagara Conservation. thanks

There have been other toilets that have less then a gallon flush and the problem with them seems to be the toilet flushes fine but it doesn't push the contents far enough down a horizontal line leaving you with a clog, maybe someone else will post with further info. :confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Niagara Stealth

http://stealthtoilets.com/pages/whatis.html

Terry...have you ( or any of the guys) seen this toilet in action?? 0.8 gallons per flush, and they claim 600map. The diagrams seem to show a double trap on board!

I can imagine all kinds of issues, but probably that is because I am resistant to new technology in general!!!

I see it flushes soy bean paste and grapes...but will it wash the bowl, or flush a handful of Charmin???

Schipperke

Reaction score
Niagara Stealth or Flushmate?

I've seen the video about half year ago. The first concern for me was where do I get parts to fix it. Just looked at it again, is there some "vacuity" design in there? Wonder how it plunges. I would have loved another Flushmate 1.6g , but the wife did not like the noise, and I pick my battles carefully ;) I see Flushmate has a Kohler with 1g , I'd go that before I'd get a Niagara. Also looked at Niagara flapperless, cool idea but then read the problems that develop.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's like the Vacuity design.
The Flushmate 1.0 gallon works. I had one in the Master for a while, didn't use it at night though. Same reason you mentioned.

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Toilet Nightmares

Mr. Love: What a great website you have . I wish I had found it before I bought my toilet. I wanted a water-saver and bought a Watermatrix 'Proficiency' model . It is a single-flush 3 liter type. It is one of these vacuum flush designs and has a double trap in the drain channel. With the double trap and low flow of water it doesn't take much to clog it . It is a real nightmare. Ironically the designers (Hennessy and Hinchcliffe) got a design of the year award for it from ,I think, the Ontario ,Canada government. Evidently it was tested by an Ontario engineering firm called Veritec Consulting in Mississauga (600 grams on the MaP testing) , Ontario. When I told all three parties about the weakness of their design they just ignored me . So much for accountability. I sometimes wonder if these companies that test products aren't paid off for a good report . I will carefully examine your reports and buy a replacement I can depend on. Nothing worse than a toilet that clogs - and it always happens when you have company . Thanks . Robert , North Bay, Ontario , Canada.

watermatrix-N7716.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RedHouse

Reaction score
Niagara Stealth toilet, 0.8 gpf.

Hi, team. I have just discovered a 0.8 gpf toilet. The Niagara Stealth apparently flushes 600 grams of media which works better then the 1.28 Drakes. Any advice on this throne?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Works better than the Toto Drake? According to who? This "throne" would best be served by being "thrown".

Steve S11

Reaction score
Steve S

I installed a Niagara Stealth 0.8gpf toilet in my house about a year ago. While I can't compare to the the Toto and other HE toilets, I can tell you that I have not clogged it once (and I've clogged my fair share of toilets). In fact, I don't think I've even had to double flush due to inadequate bowl wash. It's quiet, efficient and effective.

I won't use the other toilet in our house unless the Stealth is occupied. When I remodel our half-bath this next year - I'm planning to put in a second Stealth.

Unless you have used this toilet yourself - don't hate on it!

Mike Warwick

Reaction score
Niagra very low flow toilets experience?

Portland water and sewer rates are very, very high. They are the leading expense in my rental units. I have Drakes now, but am thinking of putting in Niagra's to cut the flush in half (0.8 gallon versus 1.6). But that seems awfully low. I know Niagra from their showerheads. From outward appearances, it looks like they may source the toilet from a third party (probably in China unfortunately) and just supply the "guts." Am looking for any feedback on how effective they are and how wise an idea this may be.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Portland water and sewer rates are very, very high. They are the leading expense in my rental units. I have Drakes now, but am thinking of putting in Niagra's to cut the flush in half (0.8 gallon versus 1.6). But that seems awfully low. I know Niagra from their showerheads. From outward appearances, it looks like they may source the toilet from a third party (probably in China unfortunately) and just supply the "guts." Am looking for any feedback on how effective they are and how wise an idea this may be.

Why not wait just a smidge and see how Terry's full experience is with the new Toto 1.0gpf model. Chances are that it will work well and be easy and inexpensive to fix.

Of course, when you have rental units and the tenants get their water for free, I wonder what percentage of use the shower is vs. the toilet? Are their any studies by the landlords' associations on how much total water consumption goes down from replacing a toilet? Of course, you may be eligible for some rebates to make that change more palatable. Also, if the water consumption gets so low that the toilet flushes but a line downstream gets blocked from not having enough water to "wash it down", then you may be trading one expense for another. That would be another thing that might be worth having a landlord's group study...

EDIT: I actually did some research to see what was out there on these questions and the financial viability of attempting to reduce cost by replacing 1.6 gpf toilets with the one you're thinking about. Here's what I found: A marketing piece from TOTO about their 1G (1 gpf) toilet estimates that the average American flushes 5 times per day at home, and then does some extrapolating based upon an average family size of 3.2, and estimates that 3.2 users of a 1.6 gpf toilet flushing 5 times per day would burn through 9433 gallons of water flushing in a year. So let's back out the 3.2 and give you a number per-tenant, since only you know how many tenants on average you have in a unit. So each tenant uses 2947 gallons of water per year flushing, assuming the American average of 5 flushes per day. By replacing all your 1.6s with 0.8s, the best you can hope to save per tenant, then, is 1474 gallons per year, and this assumes that the 0.8s don't give the tenant any incentive to do a second flush. (I would round these numbers because being this precise about flushes seems a little silly, but we might as well leave it at this level of detail for now.) So that's the maximum water savings per tenant. So what does that translate to in dollars. Well, the best I can tell from the Portland City web site is that the retail water and sewer combined rate for retail inside-the-city-limits water customers is $3.086 per 100 cubic feet of water. Portland seems to add all sorts of wacky fixed charges that drive up the monthly water bill, but $3.086/100 cu ft. seems to be rate for actual consumption, which would seem to be the only thing you can affect by reducing consumption. If I'm wrong about this, then whatever charges also vary with consumption can be factored into my math here. 100 cubic feet of water is 748 gallons, so the variable retail price per gallon is [3.086/748 or] $0.004125. So, if you save 1474 gallons per year, you save $6.08 per tenant per year. If you have an average of 2 tenants per apartment, then you might save $12.16 per year. If you have one toilet per apartment, then your payback on the $308 investment would be about 25 years. If you have four tenants per apartment, then the payback period is cut to 12 years. If there are additional variable charges I am not considering, then YMMV, but I do note that Niagara itself estimates $4/1000 gallons as the water price in their examples, which is consistent with the numbers used here. The good news about your Stealth is that it is about half the retail price of what Toto is publicly estimating for the 1G, which I guess for now will be a high-end model, although I imagine that the technology, if successful, will filter down as it always does. BTW, Niagara seems to think that going with a 1.25gpm showerhead will save twice as much water than their toilet, as well as some electricity, and they only cost $19.95. Of course, the savings assumes that the tenants don't claw them off the wall and replace with a higher-flow version, but still it seems like a more obvious path to money savings (and water savings).

Last edited:

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
We bought 2 of these, and we found out something very important. It only works well if you have space between the tank and the wall after installation. We put one in our downstairs bathroom which had zero space, and it would't flush solid waste at all. Everything required 2 flushes. We called the manufacturer and found out that the technology of these toilets requires some space behind the tank so that there's air flow to create more suction. After a little wiggling, we managed to get about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of space and it works pretty well now. However, for our upstairs bathroom we have an inch or more of space behind the tank, and it works amazingly well. Zero issues. Only other complaint is that the seat is super cheap plastic and doesn't tighten well, so we'll upgrade the seat

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks