(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: navien tankless water heater

Default navien tankless water heater

Installed a navien tankless 30 days ago. probem with no hot water low volume, Navien having problem with flow controle and no fix, dist has no fix so just get the run around. Only resolve will be court and lawers.

My plumber installed a gas Navien NR-240A in my crawlspace (November 2010). I ditched my 21 year old electric 65 gallon tank located in a closet in my kitchen.
    I read mixed reviews on the Navien product, but my plumber insisted they work well if installed correctly. He changed out my gas line (1”) and I found out through reading reviews I needed to update my gas meter since I also have a gas furnace.

You mention you have “no hot water low volume”. I discussed this issue with my plumber before he installed the NR-240A, since I was aware through reading you need a certain flow rate to get the Navien working (forget flow rate #). One of the criticisms I read about the Navien was it needed a greater flow rate than some its competition. That may be true although maybe the experts can comment on that.

The biggest challenge I have is shaving in the morning. With my old electric tank heater I could get the hot water going upstairs (after about 30 seconds) with the water stream barely moving. I cannot do that with the Navien. I have to run the hot water in the sink (again for about 30 seconds) at a very moderate water flow to get the Navien started. After I get the hot water running in the sink I can slow the rate down somewhat, but if I get it water stream too slow the Navien stops making hot water and the water turns cold again. That’s been my experience with the Navien. The same operation holds true for the kitchen sink. I’m also not sure how our front loader clothes washer and dishwasher work with the Navien, since they call for hot water at various times during their wash cycles. I only hope the cycles stay on long enough so making hot water is not an issue. I haven’t yet seen a problem with the clothes or dishes though.

My overall user experience with our Navien NR-240A has been positive with some of the flow issues noted above.

dbr

We installed Navien tankless water heaters in our church but either they were not properly installed or the water demand is greater than the heater can handle. Neither the plumber or Navien can seem to solve the problem.

DBR

Thats an easy fix, you say you have a A model, so you just need to program pump on remote control to run during desired times. Also if you program remote to operate pump on flow, you can have hot water at a trickle. A shame your installer cant read the manual or attend a class to learn this.

Meli 1932

Call Navien direct and ask the tech dept, I'm sure its a bad install though

IMKTC1

You also should call Navien direct, sometimes installers and wholesale counters aren't that bright.
    Having worked for a few gas equipment manufacturers in my life, a threat of lawsuit or litigation typically turns to mediation, allowing a inspection of the install by the manufacturer and another expert which 90% of the time or more turns out to be installer error or improper install including code violations. I wouldn't give up and ask for a visit from the manufacturer rep and a Navien authorized service agent.
    Last edited by zl700; 01-10-2011 at 04:25 PM.
    If Payback is so important to you, why are you not driving a Toyota Corolla?