Lavatory faucet brand

Users who are viewing this thread

Arlington22207

Reaction score
Need to purchase a 4" faucet for a bathroom lav. Any particular brands out there that seem to consistently offer better quality or manufacturing standards?

It's a three-hole, 4" setup in the sink...so that means I can use either a center set or a mini-widespread, is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Quality has pretty much gone out of the picture. Many brands and models are now using a lot of plastic to be LF. Upper bodies are thin to keep cost down.

There are a few solid brass faucets around. T&S and Chicago come to mind. SOME American Standards.

This is not something to lose sleep over, IMHO. Lav faucets are easily REPLACED if all goes bad. So there are two schools of thought: buy the cheapest one you like the looks of; or buy a $300 or $400 faucet, and take your chanceds that it will outlive your investment.'

One strategy I recommend: Buy a faucet your wife loves , in a reasonable price range. BUY TWO. Now you have a full set of ready spares, and by the time that is all used up, its time for bathroom remodel again.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
10 years from now, will they send you handles? If a tenatnt never cleaned the faucet, and the spout is scummed up beyond use, will you get that? I think there is a big MAYBE here.'

Also, there are plenty of faucets from "other than mainstream US company", which I might choose to put in lav, for various reasons. As long as I do it with NO assumption that long term parts support will be available.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; 10 years from now, will they send you handles? If a tenatnt never cleaned the faucet, and the spout is scummed up beyond use, will you get that? I think there is a big MAYBE here.'

The answer to both questions is "yes", assuming they are still in business, which is why I specified a "good company". Chicago is too "institutional" for most residential work. PricePfister, Delta, and Moen are the most 'customer friendly" companies when it comes to replacing parts, as well as being locally available if the part is needed immediately and has to be purchased.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Phister sends me free parts for a kitchen pull out job after 11 years, every year. Even speak english on the phone from the US

I like Moen bath faucets, heavy and long lasting.

My Savoy American Standard toilets even got free flappers after 10 years with a little chatting up.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
But you can't beat the "institutional" look of a Chicago faucet.

It says, "Try to break me", it speaks police station, public bathroom and doctor's surgery.....all in the comfort of your utility room or bathroom.

I always say that if something is good enough for commercial use, then it's good enough for me and my home. Even armored cable for electrical work which I prefer over ROMEX®.

The only exception is a Toto toilet. The commercial ones I have used were dogs.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
One of my customers working maintenance at Seatac Airport says the bathrooms with TOTO are the most dependable there.

I just installed a Grohe lav faucet in my main, and will be installing a new Moen ioDIGITAL Vertical Spa in the master shower.
I love the new Grohe faucet.

concetto_lav.jpg

Grohe Concetto Collection

moen_295.jpg

Moen ioDIGITAL

[video=youtube;VH7nNopt6So]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7nNopt6So[/video]

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Remember to pull the permit before you start that work Terry.

Remember to pull the permit.

Keep it safe, keep it legal.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I always say that if something is good enough for commercial use, then it's good enough for me and my home. Even armored cable for electrical work which I prefer over ROMEX®.

Armoured cable is for use with steel studs, or exposed wiring... Why on earth would you use BX cable in wood studs?

hopes2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info Terry,

Can you please give me the straight dope on Grohe and Hansgrohe?
Is one or the other of higher quality, is one a disenchanted americanized brother of the other?
I just bought thie pictured Hansgrohe, it appears almost identical to your Grohe.

Thanks....Dan.

Attachments

• hpu20187.jpg
    hpu20187.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 446

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Armoured cable is for use with steel studs, or exposed wiring... Why on earth would you use BX cable in wood studs?

I see alot of half eaten wires in garages and attics of houses, which dont get called exposed spaces here. Rats and mice love ROMEX®, but of course you must use it to make cost

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; There are a few solid brass faucets around. T&S and Chicago come to mind. SOME American Standards.

As of Jan. 4, 2014, "solid brass faucets" cannot be sold or installed, unless they are made with a more expensive "no lead" brass. That brass is hard to machine which is why companies are going to plastic "water ways".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; of course you must use it to make cost

And any dummy can run non-metallic cable, (not all of it is ROMEX®).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks