how to level an EXISTING cast iron tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
we have gutted the bathroom ( we are having the tub reglazed) and the ledger board that the cast iron tub rests on seems to be rotted out, i dont want to remove the tub because a mud job was put in after the tub and dont wanna mess it up

the wall side of the tub has dropped about 3/4 of an inch

i was kinda of thinking to lift that side of the tub a bit and wedging wood between the tub and the studs to keep it level....just want to know if u guys know a easier solution, i dunno if my idea would even work

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
For your tub to drop like that, you would have to have some serious rot going on there...and shimming the tub is a bandaid fix. A cast iron tub is a heavy beast and you need to support it properly.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I have to agree with "basement_Lurker" a lot of those cast iron tube should be supported by a ledger board AND wedges under the feet built in on the bottom of the tub, you may have major rot under the tub

Asktom

Reaction score
If you are pulling the tub you are better off putting in a new cast iron tub than reglazing what you have, the finish is much better and last a heck of a lot longer. It sounds like your project is growing on you and the new tub may seem like another ratchet up in size, but what you don't want to do is get done and not have the finish last.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I sounds like you will have to do a lot more than you were planning on. You have a rot problem and unless you demo enough of the wall and floor to be sure all the rot is removed, you will continue to have problems. It isn't a matter of what you want to do, it's what you have to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks