On-demand Hot water return loop w- branch?

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
My sister's 7 year old house was plumbed w/ PEX and came with on-demand hot water -- but instead of spending the extra $30 worth of PEX to run a return loop, the builder used a crossover valve (which has failed). There's easy access to the lines in the attic, and we want to run a dedicated return -- no big deal --- except the place where she really wants the hot water on demand is at her kitchen sink, and it's at the end of about a 25' branch.

The kitchen sink is in an island (on a slab), so I can't run a loop to it - but there is an unneeded 3rd line from the island to the wall (to tie the ice-maker supply into an undersink filter system). I can use this as a return as denoted with the dashed lines, but I've got a feeling that if I just "T" it into the main return, it's either going to short-circuit the return for the far bathrooms, or be bypassed.

Am I right in thinking that a simple Tee won't work? If so, any suggestions? Maybe a passive crossover valve at the kitchen sink (from the hot supply to the return leg)? Check valves? Both?

Attachments

• Missy Hot Water 2.bmp
    27.1 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why not just replace the "bypass manifold" valve and add another at the sink? With the system that was installed, you can install the bypass valves ANYWHERE you need one.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
Because after getting scalded in the shower with full hot being delivered on both sides of the valve, no more crossover valves! And with easy access to run a return line, and already having a recirc pump with timer, why not do it right and put in the dedicated return?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The crossover valve was NEVER intended to be a "forever" unit. Usually they have to be replaced every few years, and there are symptoms long before it gets to the "scalding hot" cold water lines that its time has come.

AltaPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Found my answer here in the Grundfos guide, diagram 3. So it's check valves and balancing valves on both of the return legs before the Tee.

I posted a similar question in another thread yesterday. hj had some good advice for the type of balancing valve to get. I still need to confirm the order of the valves, however. Is the following correct?

return leg ---> balancing valve --> check valve --> tee

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks