Very hard water issue

Users who are viewing this thread

palmerjv

Reaction score
I have very hard water and trying to rework our water softener to get the best results. I currently have a twin tank system - Fleck 9000 controls 3 CUFT tanks. I would like to know what type of resins or others products might work on conditioning our water. I also have an extra single tank to place in line for an additional product if needed. I also have a cartridge prefilter - 5micron -eight tubes 30" long.
I have posted our water test results below:
Hardness as CaCO3 = 394 or 22 grains per gallon
Chloride = 176
Flouride 4.47
Nitrogen = 2.32
Sulfate = 142
Alkalinity total as CaCO3 = 211
Conductance = 1240
PH = 7.94
Total Dissolved Solids 736

I received this information from our city so it should be accurate.

Any advice would be helpful.

Palmerjv

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
First you need your own water test for hardness. Then you need to set up your softener for your family size; K of capacity dependent on salt dose lbs which allows you to set the number of gallons between regeneration correctly.

Then you do 2 manual regenerations back to back at the maximum of 45 lbs of salt, with no water use during or between them. That's to regenerate all the 3 cuft of resin. And you do that for each tank so it goes, tank 1, then tank 2, then tank 1 again and then tank 2 again 92 per each tank).

Then for the next 7-9 days do a hardness test on the softened water. If you find hard water, THEN there is something wrong with the softener.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have very hard water and trying to rework our water softener to get the best results. I currently have a twin tank system - Fleck 9000 controls 3 CUFT tanks. I would like to know what type of resins or others products might work on conditioning our water. I also have an extra single tank to place in line for an additional product if needed. I also have a cartridge prefilter - 5micron -eight tubes 30" long.
I have posted our water test results below:
Hardness as CaCO3 = 394 or 22 grains per gallon
Chloride = 176
Flouride 4.47
Nitrogen = 2.32
Sulfate = 142
Alkalinity total as CaCO3 = 211
Conductance = 1240
PH = 7.94
Total Dissolved Solids 736

I received this information from our city so it should be accurate.

Any advice would be helpful.

Palmerjv
What about your system right now has you on the path that it needs to be reworked?

What kind of flow rates are you looking for in the house?

palmerjv

Reaction score
The data I listed is from the city water supply, not water treated by my system, In fact, I will be installing the system as soon as I can purchase resin for the unit.
The water softener was actually given to me and the gentleman stated considering the age, that it would probably need new resin. I figured I could install new resin and have a system that would last several more years.
I am in a household of two people so we actually use very little water. I figure this large of a system is probably overkill but considering the fact that our water supply is very hard, I thought is might just work.
Regards,
Palmerjv

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes it is going to be some over kill if there are only two people in the house right now, but if in the future you sell the place and the place could house 6 people then the flow rate most likely will not be over kill.
The challenge right now would be setting the unit up so that it cleans or changes tanks ahead of a channeling of the water through the resin as 3 cubic per tank is a lot of resin and the likely hood of the water channelling with low water usage is high.

Say right now with 6lbs per cubic foot and that doing 20k per cubic you would be in the range of 60k per tank and with 22comp hard that have the meter at 2650 gallons if the meter can go that high..
With just two people using 120/150 per day that comes out to about 17 days between changing tanks.. which could get some channelling half way through a tank and hard water getting into the house..
Now there is a way of setting the salt lower to get a lower capacity and having the unit change tanks more often to compincate for the challenging that most likely would happen with the low water useage..

As for which type of resin,,, some thing like C-249 would be a good one, no real need for the fine mess or the extra capicity resin that is out there , the savings on salt would take YEARS to make back with low usage and just 22 comp hardness..

A friend of mine lives in Aledo TX... not sure how far or close that is from where you are at..

Last edited:

JKERN

Reaction score
You might want to consider just purchasing smaller media tanks and a different injector with your resin to be more suitable to your families need. I do agree that there most likly wouldn't be any need for a high capacity or fine mesh resin but there are resins like purolite sst 60 that works very well in high hardness applications and only uses 7lbs per cu3 to regenerate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks