p trap type for shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

PJR

Reaction score
I'm in process of a bathroom remodel and just had the plumber move the shower drain to its new location. The substrate was just laid down. I looked through the hole for the shower drain and saw the p trap was the kind with the compression nut and not a cement join type. . Is there any increased chance of leaks with the compression type? Is it worth pulling the substrate to put in the cement type? If not, should it be hand tightened or should it be snugged up with a channel locks?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the shower pan built or installed yet? OFten, you need a little leaway in the alignment of the trap so you may be happy it can move. Cemented is less likely to give problems, and if it is burried without access could be a problem with a compression. I'd defer to the pros - I'd prefer a cemented one, and if no access, not sure you can legally use a compression fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks