Small leak in PVC piping

Users who are viewing this thread

Richrc1131

Reaction score
I noticed a little water in my basement and tracked it to a leak coming from an elbow joint from the sink in the kitchen. It's just a couple of drops at a time, but I still want to fix it as soon as possible.

Is there a quick patch for that or do I have to replace the whole joint?

MichaelO

Engineer
Reaction score
There is a product called "rescue tape" that might work. If it does, it will likely only be temporary. If the leak is on the pressure side, it will be temporary.

Even the smallest leak will disintegrate particle board cabinets, delaminate even exterior grade plywood, rot floors, and create mold. Temporary repairs usually just hide leaks.

If the leak is new, then the leak is a symptom, not the problem. Is the sink a flush mount that has pulled it's clips and is now supported by the plumbing? That is a devastating flood waiting to happen.

If the leak is pressure side, you'll need to shut off the supply while waiting for the silicone to fuse.

Nothing sticks to silicone. So, if you do use it, when you go back to repair it correctly, expect to cut away any areas that the tape touched. Even abrasives and solvents won't remove it all; it just spreads, and prevents solder and adhesives from doing their job. PVC primer and glue are a bit resistant but solder will literally pucker and avoid any silicone.

Best of luck,
Michael

Missed the PVC part. Forget about solder remarks.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would redo the plumbing. Miracle fixes for everything from plumbing to automobile engines have been around forever, but truth is, few of them actually work. I would recommend redoing the area where the leak is. PVC is inexpensive and easy to work with. If you can fix it right away, perhaps the band aid might be OK for a short time, but I would not rely on it for a permanent fix.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A leaky pvc cemented joint is the result of one of three things: a cracked joint, improper prep, or the pipe isn't inserted all the way into the socket. Well, someone could have drilled a hole in it, or driven a nail or screw, too. I'd cut it out and splice in a new piece. If you can rotate the pipe a little on inserting to the socket, it helps to distribute the cement and helps ensure a solid joint. 1/4-turn is enough if you swabbed the cement on properly.

Note, a leak can run a long ways...make sure it isn't actually leaking from somewhere else and just accumulating there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks