Domestic hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob312

Reaction score
I have a boiler that supplies both heat and hot water. I've never had a problem with it until recently. We have a small home and not a lot of room for a washing machine,so my wife has always used the local laundramat(sp). Now that we're getting up there in age,she no longer wanted to that.
We bought a small apartment sized,single hose washing machine she attatches to our single handle Moen kitchen faucet.
Not every time,maybe every fourth or fifth time she uses the washer with the water mixed,when I go to take a shower later, I end up showering with nothing but the hot water tap on. It's warm,but not hot. It should be hot enough to almost scald you.
I know you'll wonder the obvious things,like the boiler isn't kicking on properly,or heating to the right temp,etc.,But I can assure you it's not the boiler.
It has something to do with mixing the water to the washer. When the washer is washing or draining,the water isn't being used but is sitting pressurized in the hose,back thru the faucet and into the pipes. What I'm thinking is, some sort of hydraulic loop develops when the hot and cold is sitting there pressurized.
Has anyone ever heard of or experienced anything like this? This only happens after using the washing machine.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
When the faucet is on, with the mixer set to an intermediate position, the loop is there whether the washer is drawing water at that moment or not. If you turn with faucet OFF the loop is interrupted, and no cross-flow mixing of cold into the hot being drawn by other taps should occur. This could be prevented automatically by installing a check valve on the hot line to the sink to prevent reverse flow, but depending on the overall water distribution in the house you may want to put check valves on both.

Bob312

Reaction score
When the faucet is on, with the mixer set to an intermediate position, the loop is there whether the washer is drawing water at that moment or not. QUOTE]

Yes,that was what I attempting to say. The problem starts when the water isn't being drawn into the washer,but just sitting there pressurized,with no where to go but back. I was thinking a valve,but wanted another opinion. I think I WILL install two in the lines directly under the kitchen,hopefully that will eliminate the problem. Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks