(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replacing Shower Valve Seat

Default Replacing Shower Valve Seat

I was removing a shower valve to replace the washer, but when I removed it I was surprised to see that the valve seat came along for the ride. The valve seat has a nick in it that apparently dug into the washer which allowed it to unscrew as I was removing the valve. At first I was cursing because my simple DIY job just got bigger, but at least I found the source of the problem was the valve seat.

Now I need to figure out how to replace it. I found this picture that looks pretty much like what I have.

It appears I will need to find a replacement valve seat and get a valve seat wrench to reinstall it properly. (The valve seat has a square hole, so I guess a valve seat wrench is square like this one?)

I also have to figure out how to order the darn valve seat and not sure how to id the part no without knowing the model of the shower valve assembly (which is inside the wall) this might be the biggest challenge.

Do I have this right? Anything else I should know (other than I should just use a plumber to fix this!)

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bring the stem and the seat to a plumbing hardware store and they should be able to help you. Bring the handles too. This all helps the counter guy.
    The seat needs pipe thread sealant on the threads before you thread back in, and yes you will need to pick up the wrench in the drawing.

If you want to get real fancy, you can get a remodel plate and reinstall with a single handle pressure balanced valve. Then you not only have a valve that holds the temperature steady, but you should be good for parts for a long time to come.

I like the avatar, now you need to trim the bolts and snap on the bolt caps.

Last edited by Terry; 01-05-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks for the advice and I will get to work on trimming those bolts!

Put the bolt cap "washers" on the bolts before you cut them off, so you have something to snap the caps onto. I don't use a thread sealant on replacement seats.
    Last edited by hj; 01-05-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Terry:
    >>>The seat needs pipe thread sealant on the threads before you thread back in,<<<

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!, You wouldn't believe how many years I've been trying to get (plumbers?) to do that and they can't understand why they keep leaking!!

I DO NOT, and mine do not leak, EVER.

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Default Leaking Seats

hj:

>>>I DO NOT, and mine do not leak, EVER. <<<

How do you know this?, you are making a categorical statement which can't exist!

HOW DO I KNOW THIS? Because after I repair the faucet, it is NOT leaking, period. And it has always been that way. IF YOUR statement were true, I could NEVER repair a faucet properly because they would ALWAYS leak afterwards. By "ever" I was referring to the number of faucets fixed, not that the "repair" lasted "forever", which would be nonsensical statement, since "forever is a long, long time". Oh, and when you install the new stem, make sure it is in the retracted/open position. The reason the seat came out when you removed the stem was because it was NOT in the open position so it was compressed against the seat which is why both unscrewed at the same time. Normally that would have prevented you from removing the stem or could have caused internal damage to the valve.
    Last edited by hj; 01-06-2011 at 05:27 AM.

You guys missed one important point: hj, by his own admission, lifts cast iron tubs with one hand! So, when he torques in a shower seat, that baby is in for keeps!

quote; So, when he torques in a shower seat, that baby is in for keeps

Not "for keeps" only until it has to be replaced some day. And YOU might be bigger than I am.