Safe to Remove Dryer Lockout?

Users who are viewing this thread

BigSkeet

Reaction score
We just bought a house that previously had a gas dryer installed. It's been removed, the gas line capped, and we're ready to hook up our electric dryer. The circuit breaker has a lockout installed over the dryer breakers (see attachment).

My thinking - since the previous owner had gas (haha), an electrician put the lockout in place since the dryer outlet wasn't needed. I'd like to pop it off and start drying clothes again, but obviously have safety in mind first.

Any thoughts on removing it, or a quick test to determine safety?

Thanks,
BigSkeet

Attachments

• Panel.jpg
    Panel.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 429

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
That is NOT a lockout. It is a handle tie on a quad breaker. Just push it to the ON position and you'll have power.

BigSkeet

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. UNfortunately it (or something) is preventing it from being pushed into the on position. I can push it there, but it won't hold, just pops back to the middle position each time.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Then you have a problem. Something is tripping the breaker. Unplug your dryer and try it again and let us know what happens

BigSkeet

Reaction score
I popped off the handle tie and was able to move them both back to on position, but no juice. I cut them back off. Then again...

File this under "things that would be helpful for you to know upfront": I had to remove the dryer's existing 4 prong connection and replace it with a 3 prong dryer connection. No big deal...done it before. To make sure I had the right fit, I plugged in the 3 prong before wiring it up to the dryer. Not wise. Because the contacts on the other end of the plug were touching one another , I got a nice little spark. I'm thinking I've fried the socket itself, and that's the cause of the inability to restore power.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Wow... You should probably take a lot more care in any electrical you mess with.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I believe a proper 4- wire circuit is a code requirement when installing a new drier.
I know that IS true when installing a stove.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is OK to connect a dryer to an existing 3 prong outlet. BUT, you must carefully read the installation instruction that come with the dryer...it will be necessary to change the arrangement of the ground connection inside the dryer.

The clip on the breaker is to make it a double pole...if one trips it takes the other one with it. DO NOT remove the clip.

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
I popped off the handle tie and was able to move them both back to on position, but no juice. I cut them back off. Then again...

File this under "things that would be helpful for you to know upfront": I had to remove the dryer's existing 4 prong connection and replace it with a 3 prong dryer connection. No big deal...done it before.
YES, big deal! Put the four prong receptacle back in and get you a four wire dryer cord. THIS is the code legal and safe thing to do.

To make sure I had the right fit, I plugged in the 3 prong before wiring it up to the dryer. Not wise. Because the contacts on the other end of the plug were touching one another , I got a nice little spark. I'm thinking I've fried the socket itself, and that's the cause of the inability to restore power.
Wow.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Someone has written what looks like "Stove" between the dryer. Could they have put in an electric stove or oven and used those leads for that? If so, adding the dryer back into the circuit would overload it when both are on. I'm somewhat concerned that the two breakers don't move freely enough to turn them on - will one trip the other if required?

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Someone has written what looks like "Stove" between the dryer. Could they have put in an electric stove or oven and used those leads for that? If so, adding the dryer back into the circuit would overload it when both are on. I'm somewhat concerned that the two breakers don't move freely enough to turn them on - will one trip the other if required?
That is a quad breaker. Two 240v circuits in the place of two full size breakers.
The "stove" is the inner 30A/240v circuit on that breaker. The dryer is the outer circuit.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
That is a quad breaker. Two 240v circuits in the place of two full size breakers.
The "stove" is the inner 30A/240v circuit on that breaker. The dryer is the outer circuit.

I have seen them in homes, but mostly inside mobile homes

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks