Comfort height not so comfortable for petite to average height women

Users who are viewing this thread

avghgt

Reaction score
First of all, I want to say that after reading the advice on this forum, I think I'm going with the standard height, round-front Toto Drake, CST743S. If anyone else has other recommendations for a standard height, round-front toilet, I would appreciate it. I have a very small bathroom and small home in general and I prefer the round-front style.

Now here's my story - I recently needed to purchase a new toilet when my old one started leaking through a crack in the tank. The old toilet was probably from the 1980s and as a new homeowner, I've never had to purchase or shop for a toilet. This forum has provided a great deal of good advice and I wanted to offer my experience to help others.

I didn't realize there were so many different types and sizes of toilets out there and I wrongly assumed that unless I specified, I'd get a toilet in the standard height I was used to using all my life (I'm nearly 40 yo). The plumber offered me two brands that they recommended based on performance and I chose one. I did some online research and found that they were widely considered top performers. I didn't discuss toilet height with the plumber - it was never brought up.

They installed a 17" ADA-compliant comfort height toilet for me even though I didn't ask for a higher toilet. I'm having the plumber get me a standard size to replace the taller one because I'm 5'4" and for me the comfort height is extremely uncomfortable. When I use it, I can't have my feet flat on the floor so my weight is transferred to my legs and back and it really hurts. A friend who is barely 5'1" says using the comfort height makes her legs go numb.

Everyone is different I realize, but for me and possibly others out there who are under 5'6", I really prefer the standard height - below 15" . I wouldn't use the larger disabled toilet in a public bathroom unless all the other stalls were occupied and I don't want a taller toilet in my home where I expect to have the most comfort. I really hope toilet manufacturers continue to make toilets under 15". I went to a big box store to check out the selection for comparison and I was shocked that most of the toilets on display were the comfort height.

For me the name is a misnomer - it's so uncomfortable that instead of using it, I'm actually going down two flights to use my other bathroom. I can't wait to get it out of my home.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They will NEVER stop making the 15" toilets, just as they will ALWAYS make the round front toilets. It is a matter of economics, since these are the least expensive toilets and most customers are price shoppers.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What HJ states is 100% true. It is a matter of supply and demand. But, it does have another side. The demand for low, round front toilets has, and will continue, to decrease. This means that all though there will always be some made, the choices in models and styles will be less. The wording of your question indicates to me that you are a single lady. Therefore the usual argument for an elongated bowl (aka "male friendly") may not be too important to you, so the round bowl is probably a good choice. If however you expect to have male relatives and/or friends visit, you perhaps should give the elongated bowl some consideration. Since you will be the primary user of the toilet, the low height is also a good choice for the reasons you cited. The Drake is a excellentt choice in any configuration.

avghgt

Reaction score
What HJ states is 100% true. It is a matter of supply and demand. But, it does have another side. The demand for low, round front toilets has, and will continue, to decrease. This means that all though there will always be some made, the choices in models and styles will be less. The wording of your question indicates to me that you are a single lady. Therefore the usual argument for an elongated bowl (aka "male friendly") may not be too important to you, so the round bowl is probably a good choice. If however you expect to have male relatives and/or friends visit, you perhaps should give the elongated bowl some consideration. Since you will be the primary user of the toilet, the low height is also a good choice for the reasons you cited. The Drake is a excellentt choice in any configuration.

Thanks, after reading your comments, I have done some research and will seriously consider getting the elongated bowl. I'm leaning toward the Toto Drake CST744S, this is the model number for the standard height elongated bowl toilet, correct? My only criteria for the toilet is that it works super well and that it is the lower height. Since I've wasted money on the tall toilet that I want to remove, price is also a consideration. I am also looking at the Kohler Wellworth, but I don't see universally good reviews like the Drake gets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks