Circulating Pump: Reuse No-Loop Pump in Looped System?

Users who are viewing this thread

jim.d

Reaction score
I own a Watts Premier recirculating pump kit for homes WITHOUT a plumbed return loop (the kind with the plastic temperature flow valve for the faucet furthest from the WH). The pump was installed at the WH's hot output line.

However, our new home has a plumbed loop.

My question is: can I install the Watts Premier pump in a return-loop system (sans faucet valve) at the end of the loop into the drain spigot? Is there any reason I can't move the pump from the WH out line to the return in the WH spigot? Flow/temperature incompatibilities?

Thanks, Jim

Watts:
https://www.wattspremier.com/products.php?product=Instant-Hot-Water-Recirculating-System

Gundfos
http://www.us.grundfos.com/Web/Download.nsf/Pages/D6774D5BEBD2117B8825652200650E2C/$File/Uprec-gd.pdf

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it runs all the time, and there is no on/off function based on temperature, it should work there as well as at the outlet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pumps work best when they are "pushing" the water rather than "pulling" it, so the location on the heater's hot outlet is a little bit better, the only down side being that any water used has to flow through it. But, as long as the pump is ANYWHERE in the circuit, AND there is a check valve at the point where it connects back to the water heater, it will work the same way. The difference in price between that pump and the one without the manifold valves IS the cost of the valve, plus the intergral timer and attached cord, if you unit has these.

Last edited:

jim.d

Reaction score
Pumps work best when they are "pushing" the water rather than "pulling" it, so the location on the heater's hot outlet is a little bit better, the only down side being that any water used has to flow through it. But, as long as the pump is ANYWHERE in the circuit, AND there is a check valve at the point where it connects back to the water heater, it will work the same way. The difference in price between that pump and the one without the manifold valves IS the cost of the valve, plus the intergral timer and attached cord, if you unit has these.

Thank you for your quick responses jadnashua & hj!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks