(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Circulating Pump: Reuse No-Loop Pump in Looped System?

Default Circulating Pump: Reuse No-Loop Pump in Looped System?

I own a Watts Premier recirculating pump kit for homes WITHOUT a plumbed return loop (the kind with the plastic temperature flow valve for the faucet furthest from the WH). The pump was installed at the WH's hot output line.

However, our new home has a plumbed loop.

My question is: can I install the Watts Premier pump in a return-loop system (sans faucet valve) at the end of the loop into the drain spigot? Is there any reason I can't move the pump from the WH out line to the return in the WH spigot? Flow/temperature incompatibilities?

Thanks, Jim

Watts:
    https://www.wattspremier.com/product...ulating-System

Gundfos
    http://www.us.grundfos.com/Web/Download.nsf/Pages/D6774D5BEBD2117B8825652200650E2C/$File/Uprec-gd.pdf

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If it runs all the time, and there is no on/off function based on temperature, it should work there as well as at the outlet.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Pumps work best when they are "pushing" the water rather than "pulling" it, so the location on the heater's hot outlet is a little bit better, the only down side being that any water used has to flow through it. But, as long as the pump is ANYWHERE in the circuit, AND there is a check valve at the point where it connects back to the water heater, it will work the same way. The difference in price between that pump and the one without the manifold valves IS the cost of the valve, plus the intergral timer and attached cord, if you unit has these.
    Last edited by hj; 01-02-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Pumps work best when they are "pushing" the water rather than "pulling" it, so the location on the heater's hot outlet is a little bit better, the only down side being that any water used has to flow through it. But, as long as the pump is ANYWHERE in the circuit, AND there is a check valve at the point where it connects back to the water heater, it will work the same way. The difference in price between that pump and the one without the manifold valves IS the cost of the valve, plus the intergral timer and attached cord, if you unit has these.
    Thank you for your quick responses jadnashua & hj!