(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shower drain not flushed with tiles

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-17-2014 at 04:38 AM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Kerdi membrane is hydrophobic...it repels water. So, if you have it embedded properly in thinset, and overlap the seams at least 2", per the manufactuer's instructions, it won't leak, so no, it does not matter if you apply it like 'shingles' so it overlaps in one direction. I took a class on the stuff, given at the TCNA headquarters training facility. They had a cardboard box covered inside with Kerdi and thinset they used as a drink cooler. Every morning, they filled it with drinks and ice. By afternoon, the drinks were swimming in icewater. The box had been in constant use for about 6-months...never showed signs of seepage. the stuff works. If you take a square of the stuff, wrap it into a cone, and fill it with water, water won't escape out the pointed end if you have the cone reasonably tight. What you want is shown on this chart: http://www.schluter.com/print/8_2_kerdi_drain_3963.aspx The Residential floor drain adaptor kit with stainless steel integrated bonding flange. You may have to call them to find out where to buy it. this would screw into your clamping drain assembly, and provide a surface that will accept Kerdi directly via thinset.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Blog Entries

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-17-2014 at 04:38 AM.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Alright guys! Thank you everyone specially John and Jadnashua. So yeah this is what I basically did. I took out all the tiles (it wasn't that hard, they came off without a lot of hardwork). Then I cut a cricle around the drain in the kerdi and adjusted the compression ring by grinding it slightly. Then I cut a donut of Kerdi which went 2 inch under the existing Kerdi and sandwiched between the drain base with a Kerdi Fix and compression ring on the top. Tucking the donut of Kerdi under the existing kerdi with thin-set under and over it was tricky and required some time but i was able to pull it off.

@ John Thanks for sending the video clips. Principally, Nobel is very similar to Schluter's products and pretty much does the same thing the same way but hydro ban seems to be interesting. Do you think it'll work if I just apply that directly over the deck mud bed and the walls and use it around the base of the shower drain without the compression ring and then stick a Kerdi donut around the base and over it and then tighten the compression ring? It'll have to heavily applied so that it penetrates around the drain and the bed.

AND whats with the CONE? Why do you need a waterproof Kerdi cone? :S

Blog Entries

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-17-2014 at 04:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-17-2014 at 04:39 AM.