Dornbracht Wall Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

tom_sprecher

Reaction score
I have installed a Dornbracht MEM wall faucet and can not keep the thing from leaking at the spout to rough connection. They used straight threads with out any o-ring or seal and the service tech suggested "wrapping it good with teflon tape". Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Let us know what Dornbracht said when you called their technical support people. They have expensive product so they better give good service.

Are you saying above that, without dope or tape or a washer at the end, you screwed straight brass threads and ?

tom_sprecher

Reaction score
The spout to rough threads are straight cut vs. NPT, so there is no sealing action going on there. Being an engineer and concerned that there was no o-ring or seal used as is typical design when using straight cut threads, I called Dornbacht customer service. The tech said to "wrap it real good with teflon tape" and that should work. It did not after two attempts, hence the post asking for advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That would be a "dumb" idea if the threads are straight cut and there is no "O" ring seal. The straight threads are so the spout will screw on as far as necessary to meet the wall, but I do not think I have ever seen one that did not also have an "O" ring to make the actual seal. Do you have a model number so we can read the actual instructions for it?

tom_sprecher

Reaction score
The fixture is 36.812.780.00. The rough is 35.806.970.90. The rough to plumbing lines are 1/2" NPT so I did not need an adapter. The instructions I got with the fixture has a diagram only showing the spount being screwed into the rough without any tape or o-ring or silcone being used. Even if I tried to use and o-ring, there is no flange that an o-ring could seal against on the spout. The rough has a nice machined surface where the internal threads start that could be used with an o-ring if the spout had something similar. I don't see how an adapter would change how to seal straight threads w/o the use of some type of flange, but maybe it can.

We bought the fixtures from Renaissance Tile & Bath in Atlanta. I will call Dornbracht in Duluth on Monday to see what they say. The last time I did that the response was "wrap it real good with teflon tape and screw it in."

tom_sprecher

Reaction score
John, you're a good man. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your input. The extension would allow more threads to engage and give the teflon tape a better chance of sealing against the straight cut spout threads. Maybe even use some silicone, epoxy or solder the extension on. I'll call Dornbracht tomorrow and see what they say.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
John Whipple, I think it's guys like you we have to blame for such high WCB costs.

That grinder has no guard, AND you're holding the work in one hand and grinding with the other... Do you not own a vice? Is common sense, not common anymore?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks