Hot water in shower not turning on, all other faucets have hot and cold water

Users who are viewing this thread

redrover

Reaction score
When I turn on our shower faucet, the water coming out isn't hot, just cold water at a flow that's not the usual flow.

When I turn on the hot and cold water from any other place in the house, I get water no problem.

We hadn't used this problem shower for 2 weeks before finding out the problem and are afraid that perhaps the pipe is frozen while we were out, but don't understand how that would be possible given that we've had the house heated to 55 minimum and the shower is the most interior of all showers in the house (meaning if this one froze, it's likely the others should have but for some reason didn't).

Any thoughts on what may be going on and what we can/should do? We're right now just waiting for a warm day to try again, but that seems to be less than ideal. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The most usual diagnosis is that you have a pressure balanced faucet and the balancing spool is stuck to one side. There is no "generic" cure, because the spool could be located in various areas depending on the faucet's make and model.

redrover

Reaction score
Thanks hj -- should try to take the shower plate off? Is there a way I can reassure myself it's not a frozen pipe? Les

redrover

Reaction score
Just an update -- called a local plumber and he said you must have a symmons which needs a new cartridge. Interestingly enough I called symmons and they knew immediately it was the cartridge but instead of sending me a new one or asking me to buy one they said I should soak it in vinegar for 1 hour... did that and what a waste of time, it didn't help... We have well water and it sounds like since we don't use it regularly the deposits dried up and caused it to get stuck... Figured you'd appreciate the followup.

redrover

Reaction score
Received the symmons cartridge in the mail yesterday, was in the process of replacing the existing one and dropped it, and presto, it unfroze. I put the <1year old spindle back in and the hot water now works!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks