Eljer toilet uneven - large flange, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

in-mn

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just stumbled across this forum looking an answer on a rocking toilet. On a whim, I took my toilet and put it on my flange, but it rocks back and forth, maybe 1/4"

My flange was a 4" black pipe (not PVC, whatever the other type is), and it was a nightmare getting in. I bought a 4" flange from *******, put glue on flange and pipe. Proceeded to hit with rubber mallet, stand on, jump on, etc to get this darn thing on. Finally get it on top of tile.

Anchor it with 3 tapcon screws.

Then find out this Eljer toilet rocks on flange without wax seal. Not good really.

So my options:

1) Replace eljer toilet bought @ ******* on clearance (floor model - diplomat or some such)
2) Shim toilet
3) make 1/3-1/2" built up grout base for toilet (leaving area around flange open), set toilet on wet grout and hope pushing down the wax seal and grout goes evenly.

Or just buy a different brand.

Unfortunately, only other store is Home depot, or a custom order. Would really like to get this toilet on though. Sewer fumes are fun to deal with :)

in-mn

Reaction score
sorry realized i cant use store names.

Wanted to note that this thing rocks on both tile (not on flange) and on concrete. Probably should just return.

Unless you guys think i should shim. Supposedly one of their better models deeply discounted due to closeout. So if you guys think shim or grout to save 1-2 bills, or better off getting better toilet to give me 20 years of headache free operation..

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Deeply discounted, I would bet the toilet was returned and they discounted it due to this problem. return it and get one that doesn't rock on a flat surface.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flange is too high, then any toilet would not set down properly.
Have you set the bowl on a flat surface to see if it is flat?

If the bowl will set on a flat surface, then the flange may be too high. You option then would be to get a thinner flange, or to raise the bowl.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
With all your troubles with the flange, I hope it was not one with a plastic flange, rather than a metal one. ALL flanges should fit in ALL toilets, (I have never had a mismatch between them), so your problem with rocking is either the floor or the toilet. If it is the toilet you can return it or shim it. IF it is the floor, then you have to shim it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks