Question About Removing Bathtub Skirt

Users who are viewing this thread

SoonerLawyer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of replacing bathtube fixtures. The bathtub is acrylic with deck mounted fixtures. There doesn't appear to be an access panel to the tub but it looks like I can gain access through the skirt on the front of the tub. The issue is that I don't see any screws or bracket to remove the skirt. It looks like it is a rectangular piece of acrylic with a line along the length of the tub as well as down the left side of the front of the tube. Do I just take a knife along those lines to break the seal and then gently pull the piece of acrylic away from the tub? I had always thought skirts were held with screws which is why my tub is throwing me off a little. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It's hard to say what you have without a picture. I have seen some held in place with a strip of Velcro.

John

SoonerLawyer

Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos of the tub and the seams I was talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 2,507
  • IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,300

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Definitely not held in place with Velcro. The best way to access the faucet may be through the wall behind the tub.

John

SoonerLawyer

Reaction score
The other side of the wall has some built in shelving that would have to be removed. I was hoping to avoid doing that but probably doable if that is the better way to access the faucet.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
The other side of the wall has some built in shelving that would have to be removed. I was hoping to avoid doing that but probably doable if that is the better way to access the faucet.

If you do that, it would be a perfect opportunity to build a secret compartment or two to store valuables. Might help turn a minus into a plus.. ;)
HRG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The skirt may be held in place with the silicone grout, but it could also be glued with construction adhesive, which means the skirt COULD be damaged during the removal. If I had to do anything, I might try removing the smaller end panel first, that would then give you access to the back of the skirt to see how it is fastened.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Good idea of course I would actually need some valuables first! :p

From your "name" I would assume you are a lawyer from OK, (Sooner, boomer), and should have at least some valuables if you are a successful lawyer, that is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks