Oatey 4" x 4" saddle tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I would like to relocate my cleanout to place a utility sink. Because the sink will block the old one, can I install a 4"x4" Oatay (Model No 43795) Saddle Tee a couple feet of higher than the old wye? It would be too hardto insert a real wye or tee. Do saddle wyes exist? Where are those to be found?

I think this would be ok, but I'm not sure. Most of my house is cast iron except for a short portion in the basement that I can easily tap into.

What's the best way to cut this 4" hole? I was thinking of using a large spade bit and then a sawzall. I'd maybe drive a screw in the "plug" that will come out, tied to a string for retreival purpses if needed. :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Jason

(Yes, I have lots of projects going on, hands in a little bit of everything).

Last edited:

Finnegan

Reaction score
Most folks don't think much of saddle tees, but assuming yours will be used as a cleanout, you should be ok. Waste will likely never be as high as the tapped area of the pipe, so there is not much risk of leaking. Though, you may never need the cleanout so you you could always hold off on the saddle tee until you have a problem and install it if you ever need access to the pipe.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Terry Love said:
You would want to use a hole saw.
Would this be for relocating the cleanout?
Yes. I don't have a hole saw that big. Might have to invest in a 4incher.

finnegan said:
Most folks don't think much of saddle tees, but assuming yours will be used as a cleanout, you should be ok. Waste will likely never be as high as the tapped area of the pipe, so there is not much risk of leaking. Though, you may never need the cleanout so you you could always hold off on the saddle tee until you have a problem and install it if you ever need access to the pipe.

I guess leaking could be a concern. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of a good wield with the solvent? Primer, lots of glue, stick it and bolt it all lickity split? (BTW, house has needed yearly cleaning of tree roots since '68! Trying to build my own sewer cam, see other thread, to investigate.)

Anyone know of a saddle wye?

Thx,
Jason

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks