Tankless Hot Water Heater and no hot water in the Kitchen!

Users who are viewing this thread

SD_Friar

Reaction score
Ok, a few months ago we had our traditional hot water heater removed and a tankless added. Because of code issues we had to relocate the hot water source from under the house to the second story attic. When it was first installed it would literally take 5 minutes for hot water to reach the kitchen (the house is only 1900 sqft), now hot water only reaches the kitchen when we turn on the dishwasher. HELP!!!! The other faucets in the house get hot water within 2 minutes of turning on the water. Can anyone provide insight as to what the problem might be? Solutions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe you should post your question in the Tankless section of the forum. That's where those who think tankless heaters are good.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your diagnosis is not logical. The hot water faucet can dispense a LOT more water than the dishwasher uses to fill itself. So unless the hot water faucet is drawing water so fast that the heater cannot keep up with the flow, it makes no sense that filling the dishwasher would produce hot water, but the faucet, even running at the same rate, would not. Unless the faucet's flow is so small that it does not turn the heater on, and it requires the added flow of the dishwasher before it begins to produce hot water. We cannot tell you which it is with just your description of the problem.

SD_Friar

Reaction score
Thanks HJ. The faucet was replaced at the same time as the tankless system and I have noticed that water pressure in that faucet is a lot less than it used to be. Since the dishwasher comes off of the same valve as the kitchen faucet, maybe the added flow "kicks" the tankless system on(?). Huh???

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Possibly, remove the aerator from the faucet to get maximum flow and see if that changes how the hot water works. Tankless heaters are not the panacea people expect, or that manufacturers tout.

SD_Friar

Reaction score
HJ… YOU ARE A FREAK'N GENIUS!!!!! I turned the hot water on in the kitchen and went to the gas meter and it was not running. I took the aerator out of faucet and checked the gas meter and it WAS running! In a matter of 2 minutes we had hot water! Not sure where you are in AZ but I am happy to send my friends and family that are in PHX your way if they ever need a plumber! Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks