Should my well driller be using my brand new pump for well development?

Users who are viewing this thread

Xboilerguy

Reaction score
Just had a new 300 ft. well drilled. The "well development" is part of that drilling contract, but has not been done yet. It appears the driller is waiting until my brand new pump is installed to do that part. I've got no expertise in the well drilling field but I'm doing my best to learn out of necessity. My current understanding is that well development may involve pumping out a lot of sand and debris--definitely not something I want going through my brand new pump. I've heard that a competent driller will use his own equipment for the well development stage. If one of you pros can kindly shed some light on the subject, it would enable me to discuss this with my driller from a more informed position. Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Every area is different. In our area we use air to blow out the well and a bailer to dip out the sand and surge the gravel pack into place. Then yes we use the customers pump to pump out the well because there is very little sand left to pump out. Test pumping a well or developing the well with a pump, I would clean the well out with an old pump of my own before putting in the customers new pump.

Many decades ago I sold Reda pumps that had a one year unconditional warranty. A lot of pump installers would use them to clean up a well, then bring them back to me for warranty replacement. Reda pumps cost more and lasted a long, long time in clean water. So many pump installers would install a cheaper, shorter lived pumps after cleaning the well with the Reda. Wonder why they don’t make those kind of Reda pumps any more? lol

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
We develop wells by blowing air down the drill rods with a large compressor forcing the water out of the well. Doesn't take long for well to clear up, then pump can be installed.

things are done different everywhere though. maybe thats the norm? best thing would be to find out what the other drillers in the area use.

Xboilerguy

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Appreciate the responses. I thought I would get email notifications about replies but did not so I'm glad I checked back. The drilling method was cable tool, so I don't think the air surging would have been an option (unless there is another way to get it down there without using the rig). Asking other contractors seems like a good idea but I'm posting here because it's hard to get much help with well drilling in AZ. Even getting a phone call returned from anyone in the business around here is like pulling teeth. I was only able to get 2 contractors to actually show up and give proposals after two weeks of calling everyone I could find in the area. Got many assurances that companies wanted to bid but could not get them on site. Maybe business is really good here...

At this point I think I'll just discuss the development process with the driller and if anything sounds funny I'll post back and beseech your opinions.

I was also surprised that no pad was poured around the casing as the previous well had. I've been told it's not necessary and is personal preference but it just doesn't look finished.

(Just edited my settings to receive email notifications now)

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Cable tool (pounding) requires bailing (development) or you usually don't get much water in the well, unless it is under pressure.

If you have a pitless adapter below the frost line, a pad can be a real PIA if you ever have a leak at the fitting on the outside of the pitless or have to get to the pitless for some reason. And a pad can hide evidence of a leak at the pitless.

Xboilerguy

Reaction score
Cable tool (pounding) requires bailing (development) or you usually don't get much water in the well, unless it is under pressure.

If you have a pitless adapter below the frost line, a pad can be a real PIA if you ever have a leak at the fitting on the outside of the pitless or have to get to the pitless for some reason. And a pad can hide evidence of a leak at the pitless.

Thanks, Gary. So, just using the bailer until it comes out clean would be considered development? I guess the dropping action pushes water back out through the screen?

Regarding the need for a pad or not, the casing comes above ground level and piping will run above ground.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
We have to either do a sleeve or slab here (24" from the casing in all directions). I think it's more about protecting the casing than the seal.

Last edited:

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if it makes sense. Well drillers don't make the rules, they just have to obey them. They'll have some college grad that's never drilled a well in their life make those rules.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I'm licensed to drill in AZ but to date have only drilled on the Navajo reservation with cable tools. The outer casing is usually set in the rock (State Regulation) and grouted at least 20'. Most drillers will grout the casing to the rock. Then some drillers will install a PVC liner to the bottom with a well screen. Just for your information if the well doesn't have a liner in Arizona they call it a Barefoot Well. After the well is completed with a cable tool drill it is usually clean from debris. Then the liner is installed and then the pump. Normally the liner isn't gravel (sand) packed. If this is the case it's not necessary to install a test pump in this type of well. Any small amount of debris pumped by the newly installed pump won't harm the pump.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yeah I agree it being more about protecting the casing. Or some dummy in the corner office more likely thinks it's a good idea for whatever reason and "we the people" go along to get along, especially when the customer is paying for it.

And we've all allowed the dummies to push their agenda of revolution from within 'til now as a country we are currently 15 TRILLION dollars in debt to about 60% of GNP and are printing money faster than ya can count it. But just this week the money guys finally came to the conclusion that there may be some inflation in our future. And far too many of us are still going along to get along while the likes of Jerry Brown is yet again the new governor of CA and gasoline is well on its way to $4-5 a gallon by spring along with much higher food prices for far into our future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks