Please help with this BIG mess

Users who are viewing this thread

biz64

Reaction score
ok, I have a Delta shower faucet that I installed in the basement. Now Im ready to actually put the corner shower kit together but I have one major problem, the screws that hold the flange (escutcheon) to the shower valve will not screw in. I tried screwing thenm in and they barely go in and then will not turn. When I pulled the screws out it looks as if the threading is getting messed up. How can I fix the threading on the valve so that it wil accept the screws? Please dont tell me I have to replace the entire valve. Thanks for any help in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If all that is wrong is something to do with the screws, this will not be hard. If it is the threads on the valve body that are bad.....take the SCREW to a hardware store, and get a TAP the same size. This will be used to "refresh" the threads. If the SCREW is bad, just get new screws. A plumbing supply, or a major industrial hardware store like Marshall's Industrial, Pell Mell fasteners, etc. would have screws that would work.

If the valve body is installed in the wrong postion, or crooked, or too far back.....that is a bigger problem.

Reaction score
ha, been there bought that!...although im not a pro when i encountered that problem (more than twice) i found that it was the placement/orientation of the valve itself that was causing the problem and luckily i was able to get longer screws that ALMOST matched the original finish.

The other time was solved with a tap and die kit as the threaded brass portion of the valve body was far too damaged resulting from the screws not being in the correct position something you may want to verify.

again, i am NOT a pro.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Jimbo's got it-the valve body may be angled a bit. Correcting that might be a character building experience.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The screws are usually what gets damaged, so cut a 1/4" off the end and then try them in the body WITHOUT the plate first to see their angle and if they will screw in easily.

biz64

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. It seems it was the threads on the valve itself, and it was messing up the threads on the screw. Now, I tried a different screw that has wider threads and it screwed in and out perfectly. I think I am just gonna get another screw with the wider threads in a stainless so it doesnt eventually rust. You guys think that should befine? Its a lot easier and faster than trying to fix the threads on the valve. I also adjusted the valve to that its more centered.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks