Multiple Elbows on Spout Outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Alaastor11

Reaction score
I have a question about putting any bends in the line out to the shower head from the pressure balance valve. The instructions say, "Do not use multiple elbows on spout outlet." My problem is that the centerline of the drain is also centered on the stud in the shower wall. I would move the stud, but this is a renovation and there is existing finished wall on the other side. I will be sistering in a stud next the to notched one for wall support.

In order to plumb the line to the shower head, I will need to use three 90s and the drop ear ell as I have notched out the stud to install the valve.

What other options do I have, if any?

The valve is a Kohler K-304. I am using 1/2" copper for all of the connections. I have blocked of the tub outlet as this is a shower stall installation.

Alaastor

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Elbows are more critical on the path to the spout. If this path becomes too restricted, water will back up and always come out both the spout and the showerhead. As long as the path to the spout is direct, the elbows in the shower head path shouldn't cause problems unless you don't maintain some slope down, otherwise, it'll trap some extra cold water up in the pipes which could be annoying.

Alaastor11

Reaction score
Jim,

Thank you for the information. Since I am not using the tub spout, I assume I should be okay. I was worried that multiple elbows to the shower head would mess with balance, causing uneven mixing of hot an dcoled water and a sub-par showering experience.

Alaastor

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks