Shower Spout - Teflon or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

CaliSkier

Reaction score
I am installing a shower and when I am done in a few days will be putting in the shower spout. For the connection behind the wall it looked like the old connection was done with plumbers putty. What is recommended? I would not think plumbers putty would work.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Shower spout?
Normally a shower arm and head would be 1/2" pipe threads. The connection inside the wall can have either Teflon Tape or pipe dope (thread sealant)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It was probably NOT plumber's putty, since that would have been "scraped off" as soon as the arm was screwed into the elbow in the wall. It could have been "pipe joint paste" which would have been a proper material. ANY pipe joint sealant will serve to keep it from leaking.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many folks confuse "Plumber's Putty" and "pipe joint paste" (aka "Pipe Dope") Two different products for different uses. Plumber's putty is a clay-like material that is used to form a seal between sink strainers and sinks. Pipe Dope is a thick goo that is brushed on pipe threads to seal a joint. Some plumbers prefer Teflon tape instead of pipe dope, some prefer using both tape and dope. I think it's largely a matter of personal preference. When I was a kid on the farm in pre-plastic pipe days, we used the muck in the bottom of oil paint cans on our galvanized pipe fittings. It was probably full of lead, but it seemed to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks