Pulling wires in a wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylor

Reaction score
I believe the rule is max 2 wires per hole when pulling through a stud wall. Can I mix 12g and 8g wires in the holes? The holes for the latter are big, more than 2", and I'd rather just pull an extra wire through those than drilling yet more holes in this wall that carries all the conductors from the main panel.

Thanks.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
There is NO "max 2 wires per hole" rule. There are derating rules, and many will argue that pulling through holes in studs does not apply, but IMO that does not matter if you keep to no more than four cables to a hole with up to #10 conductors. There are code reasons for this which I won't go into right now.

I must ask, where are you drilling 2" holes in framing? 2x6 walls? I hope they are dead center.

Taylor

Reaction score
Thanks.

The holes are in 2x6 walls, it's in a basement so the only load is drywall, maintaining 1-1/4" distance from the edge etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks