Gas cooktop + ventilation

Users who are viewing this thread

dhla

Reaction score
Got a question that is probably stupid, but I'll risk it and ask it anyway.

We have a (natural) gas cooktop in an island. Would like to replace. Will require a new countertop for the island, because of different dimensions for the cooktop. Ideally, because the cooktop is in an island in the center of the kitchen, I would add a telescopic downdraft to the island. The current setup is a pretty poor quality gas cooktop with built-in ventilation.

So the question, in a nutshell: assuming the countertop gets prepped and installed with the proper cutout... who installs both the cooktop and the downdraft ventilation? I know when dealing with gas, the plumber should be the one to handle that - but would it make sense to have the plumber do the downdraft ventilation as well?

(I have no illusion that this is a DIY project... just trying to figure out how to do this is the most efficient way, professionally).

Thanks!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are no plumbing code issues inolved in stove ventilation. A general contractor would handle that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have cut a concrete floor and installed a downdraft duct, but it is usually done by the builder during construction or a general contractor, since there could be additional work required, and he may work cheaper than a plumber. Plus, if the ventilator is not integral to the cooktop, it will require additional wiring.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you're generating a lot of heated air with possible smoke, steam, and grease particles in it. The hot air is going to try to go up, and a down-draft system has to work twice as hard to trap those particles. An overhead hood vent is MUCH more efficient if you can make it work asthetically. If you are serious about cooking, you may be dissapointed by a down-draft vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks