Water Heater Tank Question

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You did. It's an attempt at a sneaky ad.

I got that part.

That is why I wanted eggs to go with my Spam.

I did not see how this Forum was the best place to post a ad for HVAC.

Thanks Terry, You are the best.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
honeywell_tempering_2.jpg

Why isn't the ground wire also connected to the hot water side? If the loop is long enough it shouldn't transfer any heat to the cold pipe.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Often, the hot and cold are bonded to the panel at the water heater location.
There is no worry about conducting heat there. It's more to do with grounding.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Often, the hot and cold are bonded to the panel at the water heater location.

I was thinking along the lines of,
Water heaters that rust out quickly might be connected to water pipes that are not grounded. Hot water pipes are not grounded in many homes. To get 'rid of stray current corrosion, jumper between hot and cold pipes with #6 solid copper wire. And check that cold water pipe is grounded to main panel and to grounding rod.
http://waterheatertimer.org/How-to-wire-water-heater-for-120-Volt.html

Most electricians automatically bond the cold water line but do not ensure that the cold and the hot water lines are metallically interconnected through mixing valves in the plumbing fixtures. Since Section 250.104(A) requires all water-piping systems to be bonded back to the service, and hot or cold water lines are not specifically mentioned, both hot and cold water lines must be bonded and connected back to the building service.
http://waterheatertimer.org/pdf/water_pipe_grounding.pdf

My problem is that I don't have a separate ground wire going to the cold water line (there's a copper jumper between cold and hot water pipes) and I don't have a lightening rod on the roof. (Most homes in Phoenix don't have them, just as most homes don't have gutters, and most homes have the AC on the roof. Weird, I know...) I figure the ground wire in the conduit wiring is being used to ground it. I hope there's no harm connecting the WH ground screw to the cold water pipe. (I work with electronics and fear ground loops.)

Electric water heaters have [a] ground screw. Make sure ground wire from main panel is connected to screw. Attach ground wire from both hot and cold pipes to ground screw.
ibid.

Gutters and a lightening rod are on the schedule for the future. I have no trees near my house that can attract lightening...

Now if I can only figure a way to install heat traps since my water pipes are right above the WH, so they go straight down to the WH inlet and outlet... Shark hoses aren't long enough, so I'll have to find flexible copper that is long enough. Heck, my WH doesn't even have an expansion tank...

And yes, I will be replacing the WH circuit breaker with a new one when I install my WH this weekend.

Last edited:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
I found out that I do have a ground wire, it's just running along the cold water pipe, so I will be adding a grounding block to the cold water pipe, threading the ground wire through to the hot water grounding block and adding a grounding wire from the cold water grounding block to the WH ground stud.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks