(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How to remove or change old rotating shower head with wide connection?

Default How to remove or change old rotating shower head with wide connection?

Hello,

My house has a circa 1970s shower head that appears to be attached to the pipe with a wider-than-normal, rotating ball and socket head.

I can't see what's there without breaking open the shower head, since the rotating portion is within the head itself, and I'm afraid if I do break or disassemble the shower head, I'll be left with something that I can't use.

Any idea? I've poked around for adapters and found some male ends that look similar, but I'm not really sure how anything today applies to something 20-40 years old.

Thanks!

Scott

It is probably a PricePfister head, but other companies also used them and they are NOT generic, but you will NOT be happy with any adapters you use to convert it to a standard head. Unscrew the arm from the wall and install a conventional one with threads on both ends.

Great, thank you. I appreciate. I did some additional poking around myself and I see that this "ball" arm is somewhat common on older showers. I guess my only concern now is -- since the shower arm is inside the wall, once I try to unscrew this -- what are the chances that I'm going to open myself up to further complications when I try to unscrew the arm? I can't really see the point at which it attaches to the vertical plumbing.

Any advice? It makes me a little nervous - everything in this place is rusted shut, so the idea of putting some heavy circular force on a joint I can't see leaves me a little nervous, but I'm sure it will be fine.

On the positive side, I'm getting pretty good at drywall these days.

The only common "problem" would be if the arm breaks off where it screws in, BUT if that happens it means it was ALREADY broken and either leaking or getting ready to leak, and the right plumber can remove the broken piece very easily with the right tool.