(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathtub drain slip nut

Question Bathtub drain slip nut

Hi,

I removed my old tub. I couldn't get the drain out of the tub, so I ended up cutting the brass pipe that connects to it from underneath. I then removed the tub and the slip nuts.

The remaining tub drain has the threaded sanitary-tee-like connection, which goes into a lead-filled joint. I went to Lowes and picked up a new brass tub drain kit, but the slip nuts from the new kit don't thread onto the old sanitary tee. Here is a picture (obviously old slip nut on right).

Both slip nuts seem to fit fine over the new brass pipe, but the the new nuts will not thread onto the old brass tee connection.

Does anyone know what I need to look for when getting the new slip nuts to ensure that they will fit? I thought this sort-of thing was standard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by supermattthehero View Post
    I thought this sort-of thing was standard.
    Heh. So why can't you use the new SJ washers with the old nuts? If you look closely, you will see that the old nut uses a fine thread, and the new nut uses a fine thread.
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

www.blackbirdkitchenandbath.com

Anyone else?

Either use the old nuts, with "thinner" rubber washers, or replace the entire drain. The nuts were proprietary to that drain and you will not find fine thread nuts which will fit it.

Welp, nuts are a moot point now. I tried to remove the drain from the lead/oakum joint, and in doing so (with a hammer, screwdriver, etc) cracked the cast iron pipe about 8" below the finished floor. Now I've created some work for myself, since this is on a concrete slab. Darn it.

You violated one of my cardinal rules. "ALWAYS stop, and call me, about 2 minutes before you reach your level of incompetence, otherwise you WILL create a much more difficult job than when you started, and make my job a LOT harder".

Welp folks we've got a big job now!

Busted it up. Here's the pics. I assume the easiest thing to do would be to cut off the cast iron pipe BEFORE the barrel connector (and not try to force a donut in there, etc), and just use a mission coupling? Name:  DSCF0038.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  53.6 KBName:  DSCF0041.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  58.3 KB
    Last edited by supermattthehero; 12-23-2010 at 10:42 AM.

I'd bust a bigger hole. Where does the drain need to be for the new tub?

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    I'd bust a bigger hole. Where does the drain need to be for the new tub?
    There are two holes...the bigger one is what I busted up this morning. The smaller one is where the drain actually came up...and the little tiny trench that comes off of that is where the actual bathtub drain extends.

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    You violated one of my cardinal rules. "ALWAYS stop, and call me, about 2 minutes before you reach your level of incompetence, otherwise you WILL create a much more difficult job than when you started, and make my job a LOT harder".
    Waiting for phone number. Should be an easy commute to VA from AZ.

good lord what happened...i posed a simple solution but you went in the opposite direction all together!
    Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me? -Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Basement_Lurker View Post
    good lord what happened...i posed a simple solution but you went in the opposite direction all together!
    The problem was that there was only one "old" nut available, and I needed two. If it was as simple as you may have assumed, I wouldn't have posted here to begin with.

Kind-of reminds me when I go to the hardware store with a particular fastener, and I say to the salesperson, "I need a screw like this." One time the guy said to me, "Well, what's wrong with that one?" It makes me want to say "Gee, you know what, you're right! I had the answer right here in my hand all along!"

Quote Originally Posted by supermattthehero View Post
    The problem was that there was only one "old" nut available, and I needed two. If it was as simple as you may have assumed, I wouldn't have posted here to begin with.
    Ahh, well you should have replyed to my original reply with that information. Anyways you seem quite agitated, so I won't dwell in this thread, but had you replied with that little bit of information, I would have told you to simply cut off the old tee, leaving the riser stub in place, and simply couple on the new drain tee with a sheilded rubber coupling. Good luck with your repairs.

I *am* quite agitated. Don't take it personally. This remodeling stresses me out.

Just cut off the pipe. It's amazing it drains at all.

Name:  DSCF0042.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  56.0 KBName:  DSCF0043.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  55.2 KB