What is the required venting of ejector pumps in NJ?

Users who are viewing this thread

keithcos

Reaction score
I have a 3-4 year old house with a full bath in basement serviced by an ejector pump. It looks like a tank set into the slab with a black cover. the system does not get heavy use. It failed and leaked sewerage yesterday. It could be the float or the motor.

1.) Isn't there supposed to be an alarm? Is one required by code?

Also, there is a hole in top with pipe for discharge but there is a 2nd hole that is sealed (this is presumably for a vent).
2.) Is a separate vent required for the pump? It is my understanding that there is a vent behind the wall for the shower, sink and toilet similar to the bathrooms upstairs. is this adequate?

3.) By code, MUST there be a vent attached to 2nd opening on the ejector pump?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'm not sure about code, but I would want a vent on mine. You need to have a proper vent and not an AAV though because the tank needs to breathe in and out as waste enters and is discharged from it.

Having an alarm would be a good idea, home-owners need to learn to take responsibility for their negligence though.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A sewage ejector uses a 2" discharge into a 4" line if possible, and a 2" vent daylighted through the roof.
High water alarms are extra.

Any plumbing directed into the sewage ejector should be plumbed and vented just as you would any fixture.

keithcos

Reaction score
i just had the pump replaced today. "Only" $425 for parts & labor. 1st estimate was $2,000!!!
there is an alarm! i was away went it overflowed. Not sure why no one heard alarm or if it malfunctioned.
They said it is vented behind the sink similar to other bathrooms upstairs. The pump sunk into the floor of the basement does NOT have a vent.

Vent may not be required by local code. if it is recommended but not required, How could I install vent w/out tearing up my house?

plumbergreg

Reaction score
Every major code in North America requires a vent on a sewage sump, they only differ by the size of the vent. Vents for the fixtures draining into the sump don't count.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks