Air Chambers

Users who are viewing this thread

Oliver

Reaction score
Are they any specific requirements in terms of locations for air chambers in the UPC? In a simple one family home where should they be - washing machines (cloths and dishes), WC? Where else? Are they a must.

Vitaliy

Reaction score
Info

I had a very hard time to find a place where I can buy these arrestors:

But yes, they are doing the job.

- Vitaliy

Last edited by a moderator:

Finnegan

Reaction score
I have read recommendations against air chambers as well. Same reason - stagnant water and bacteria. The mechanical water hammer arestors are supposed to work well, but you have to place them in accessable locations. Installing your pipes carefully can help reduce water hammer.

Casman

Reaction score
Well now I'm thinking I should replace all the air chambers in my home, is this really as bad as it sounds, are there any links to these studies, besides someone making claims about bacteria etc....Also I have a run of pipes that used to go to an upstairs kitchen. These were removed back to the shutoff valves. So there is about 6 feet or so of dead end pipes. Should these be removed as well?

Terry Love

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The main reason air chambers are a no-no, is that they water log.
If you have them in the system already, I wouldn't worry about them.

Any hardware or plumbing store should carry hammer arrestors.
I find them where they sell the copper fittings.

If you have a closed system, (check valves, PRV's) then hammer arrestors are required at all quick closing valves.
These would be
Dishwasher
Icemaker
Washer

If you're wondering about stars (***) in posts, I do block some web sites.
If you've never seen the back end stats on a board like this, you would be amazed at the number of attempts to take over and shift it into a full blown advertising medium. Sometimes 10,000 attempts per day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oliver

Reaction score
Quote: If you have a closed system, (check valves, PRV's) then hammer arrestors are required at all quick closing valves"

Forgive my ignorance, what is closed system and the acronim PRV?

Since the arrestors have to be accesible what would be the most suitable location for them in an One story house (in the basement/crawl space)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A close system is a water supply system with either a check valve on it, or a pressure reducing valve.
Without these, the water can expand as much as it likes and in the process, pressure builds.

Quick closing valves are generally solenoid operated.
They are required on ALL quick closing valves.
Washer, dishwasher, icemaker.

Tub and shower valves are not considered quick closing.

An approved hammer arrestor may be hidden in walls.
We do this all the time.

It's air chambers that need accessible drains.

Oliver

Reaction score
Thanks

And I assume that both hot and cold supplie pipes need arresters.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have found that not running any 1/2" pipe in a house will eliminate the need for air chambers. When I do work that is going to be inspected, I install them. Otherwise, the minimum pipe size I run is 3/4", with 1/2" only as risers to fixtures. Water hammer is a function of velocity. Smaller diameter=higher velocity. Larger diameter=slower velocity.

Peace out,

Kordts

Oliver

Reaction score
That was my approach - running 3/4" pipe and only the risers being 1/2". But I am subject of inspection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks