15 year old Kinetico 30 getting loud ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a Kinetico K-30 water softener that is about 15 years old, and lately it makes a loud humm when water is running in the house. You can feel the head of the unit vibrating when it hums, like there is a loose washer or something. Is there regular maintenance that should be done on this unit? Any idea of what it could be? Also, I have the original resin beads - is it about time that the resin should be changed as well? The unit has been great - no problems up until now. Am on city water. Thanks much .... -dog

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Found that the bypass valve (to bypass the softener) was stuck open - haven't closed it in years. I lubricated it and worked it free so it opens and closes smoothly, and the loud humm is gone now. Maybe this freed up a vibrating washer?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks