Help Identify an older shower assy fom my childhood days for use in my current home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bugs Bunny

Reaction score
We need a new shower assy for our bath off the master bedroom, the wife likes to trickle the "FULL HOT" into her bath while she reads - everything I am finding has "protection of one type or another" this is not what we seek :mad:

We had a modular home built in 1977 & another relative had the same built in 1976 - Both homes used a simple "pull straight out" plastic knob to control VOLUME, you could trickle the water, same knob 180 degree sweep for HOT & COLD adjustment, being chap mass produced modular homes I am sure this was a common setup.

I would like to purchase one or very similar w/o all the modern safety B/S in it, be nice if the assy could be worked with the wifes toes ;)
NOS or current for export, a model I should look for on "auction site" any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Have a Happy Holiday everyone

Thanks in advance

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
A moen moentrol would work exactly as you want and may have been what you had. All new valves are pressure balanced but this just keeps the temp steady as the pressure fluctuates from hot to cold.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are valves available that have both temperature and volume adjustments. I have one that is thermostatically controlled and I put a pressure balanced one in my mother's house...you just need to look around more.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Moentrol, like mentioned above gives you full hot at a trickle, and it's pressure balanced for safety.
I haven't seen the old valves since, oh heck since so far back it isn't even worth looking for them anymore, and why would anyone want one? You can get what you want with the safety feature built in.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, the valve you describe may well have been a Moen Chateau. Today's Moentrol works exactly the same way, but has "on the side" a separate balancing spool for the anti-scald feature. I thnk you will like it.

Bugs Bunny

Reaction score
Thanks much gents, spent hours on the net looking pripor to posting, I am a "DIY" guy & not up on the latest products till one goes bad & research trying to play catch-up.

Spoke to Moen very nice gent, said anything marked moentrol would be the ticket as mentioned above, however I am looking at several model numbers & not sure what the difference is aside from threaded or solder fittings? I prefer threaded fittings.

Moen 63120 priced around $65

Moen 3510 priced around $85

Moen 3520 priced around $85

Moen 3570 priced around $85 this looks to have adjustments externally on the hot & cold ports?

or is there a different model someone may suggest? this is going into the The wifes shower so cost is not "the priority"

again Thanks a bunch for the help.

Happy Holidays :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They all are bare mixer valves without trim why are you looking at those? I would buy a model with the trim to avoid the added expense.

3510 has threaded connections and no integral stops.
3520 has sweat connections and no integral stops.
3570 has sweat connections with integral stops.

63120 is a bulk pack of #3520 which will get you the price break of $20 when you buy 12.

Now go look here and pick something out that comes with trim. http://www.moen.com/bathroom/shower-spa/tub-shower-faucets/_/N-682Z1z141dk?Ns=P_Product_Popularity

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks